Refusing to feed from right breast initially-help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-26-2012, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi

My son is 15 weeks old and in the past couple of days when I go to begin to breastfeed him from the right side he screams and refuses to latch. I can then swap him over to the left and he will settle and commence sucking. I have tried to calm him and continue to try the right but he freaks out.
I can swap breasts mid feed from left to right and he will feed from the right. Is my little one fussy or is there something I am missing? Has anyone had a similar experience?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 06:28 AM

Yes!  My first son did the same thing around two months.  My husband was the one who noticed it was the right side he was fussing on.  I think he did it because I have a more powerful let down on the right side and he did not like it. I also don't make as much milk on the right.

I would lay on the bed and fake him out by latching him onto righty.  I considered letting my right one dry up but evenually got him back on.  Other things to consider are:

Chiroprator - if a baby favors one side sometimes it can be because he does not like turning his head one way. 

Ear infection/fluid - if it hurts they will not want to lie on that side.

HTH!

Old 04-26-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

#star8kitten thank you so much.
I will get his ears checked and we see a chiropractor regularly but will book in an extra visit. I will try the feeding lying down more on that side.
Thanks again for your reply good to know he is not the only on. Babies are so tricky. Just wish there was a manual!!!

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges
User Tag List