Supple cups vs. breast shells for Inverted nipples - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-29-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm currently 36 weeks pregnant with my first child, one of my nipples is inverted or flat and I am hoping to get a head start on correcting or drawing out the nipple to avoid a potential problem after baby is born.  My midwife originally mentioned using a breast shell starting at 37 weeks, but I met a lactation consultant the other day who suggested using supple cups instead.  I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these, and what worked for them to get the nipple to protrude more before baby arrived. Any advice would be amazing!

#2 of 3 Old 04-30-2012, 06:10 AM

Honestly, I'm surprised they recommended anything! I had flat nipples as well, and most things I read indicate that these shells do little if anything to draw out the nipple. Babies are much better at it. smile.gif

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 3 Old 05-01-2012, 05:13 PM

I don't have this problem, so not btdt, but everything I've read seems to agree that most of the time using any sort of lactation aid isn't needed, and most babies will be able to nurse even with flat nipples.

Pre-baby I was so worried about breastfeeding, cloth diapering, and parenting in general, I read so much, but have since found that the only time things get rough is when I am stressed out, not relaxed, or worried. When I just trust myself and my baby, we do really well.

It is a great idea to have a plan for just in case, and to find a trusted Lactation Consultant, that could help you if you need it in the first few days. Because the first few weeks were tough, my LO nursed 24/7, my nipples were sore, I was exhausted, but having that tiny newborn face looking up at me made everything worth it.

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page