Breastfeeding and Lump in Breast - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-07-2012, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Ladies,

I'd appreciate any help here! I have an 11 mo dd, she still bf on demand and although she's eating solids (and more lately, my little one is HUNGRY :) ) she still likes to suckle throughout the day. I stay home with her, so it's no big deal and I basically give her the boob whenever she wants. Over the last few months, I've had problems with my right breast. It got swollen and so very painful, red on the one side extending to the arm pit, accompanied by a fever and aches, just like the flu. I felt awful, took a tylenol and had plenty of water, and eventually the fever broke. I did some research and figured it was mastitis and nursed through it. Eventually, it stopped hurting as much.

The other day, maybe a month after this first incident, same symptoms all over again. Only the fever was worse and my shaking was worse and my arm hurt. That was Wednesday. Just like last time, the fever broke overnight and by Saturday I was feeling better-- the swelling went down. Tonight, lying in bed, my DH innocently says: how is your breast? So I touch it and I notice a lump. It's like a a flatish mound on the right side, where the redness was, but it's kinda big and hard (or at least, hard compared to my other breast which has no lump.) I don't remember if it ever went away the first time and reappeared this time, if it's been there right along and I never noticed or if it just emerged now (our DD co sleeps so my sleep is pretty disjointed, and with her perimeter walking now, among other things, I'm lucky I remember my name most days-- she's our first. :) ) 

I don't have insurance right now :' so I'm hesitant to go to the doctor. I took collodial silver and vit c to treat this the first time. I've never had an external lump associated with this, just this lump buried deep. I had insurance up until she was 2 months, and went to my 6 week follow up-- everything was fine, nothing odd when she checked my breast (or that she noticed?). 

Any ideas? As you can imagine, at 4:59 am, if I'm up looking, it's because I can't sleep and am imagining the worst about a rogue lump that might have developed over the last 9 months and that i simply didn't notice ...

Thank you all so much :'(

#2 of 4 Old 05-25-2012, 02:33 AM

I too have a knot in my left breast it hurt all up into my armpit no fever or anything talked to a lactation consultant and she said use warm compresses and if I get a fever or flu like symptoms to call my ob cause I would need an antibiotic. I hope this helps you.
#3 of 4 Old 05-25-2012, 03:16 AM

Ouch!

This kellymom info may be useful http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/breast-abscess/

I'd want to see a breastfeeding friendly doctor about this asap. (I live in Canada and don't need to think about paying out of pocket.)

#4 of 4 Old 05-25-2012, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I think you should see a doctor too. Urgent care? Walk in clinic? Discuss with the pediatrician?

Breast abcess, which can develop out of mastitis, is nothing to mess around with, and the progressively worse mastitis worries me a great deal.

In the meantime, try hot compresses, and rest.

Editing to add:

I think that the most likely possibility is that you have one particular milk duct that's more prone to blockages than the others - the lump you're feeling now may be a plugged duct, and if that's the case, hot compresses, hot showers, and gentle compression and massage may help resolve it and prevent it from developing into mastitis again.

Is there any chance that your plans for the weekend involve friends or relatives who would be thrilled to walk the perimeters with your DD, so that you can take the time for some rest and self care? Or might this be a good weekend to watch all the kitten videos you can find on YouTube? When mama needs a break, screen time can be the best thing going.

Tags
Mothering Help

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page