"Lipstick tube" nipples after every feeding - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-18-2012, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My baby is 5 days old and we've been pretty successful with breastfeeding so far. She opens wide, and we get what feels like a good latch - no pain - but invariably when she comes off I have the classic "lipstick tube" shaped nipples which I know are going to cause me a lot of pain if I don't correct this now.

I have pretty large breasts, now that my milk has come in I'd say they're between grapefruit sized and small canteloupes (and I take back every. single. prayer. I said in middle school asking for bigger boobs). It can be really hard to exert much control over them, especially when they're full. Maybe 1/4 of the time, the latch will slowly become painful over the course of the feeding and I have to take her off and re-adjust.

It doesn't help that she's cluster-feeding, she fed 16 times yesterday. Any ideas are greatly appreciated, I want to fix this before it makes breastfeeding a chore.

trekkie.gifknit.gifMother to an adorable girl born May 2012, miscarriages in July and November 2013.
#2 of 18 Old 05-18-2012, 04:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not sure about the "lipstick tube" nipples but I know mine sure looked different in the beginning after DS nursed. I was worried about it as well but was assured it was normal. Turns out (for me) it was normal. Not sure how severe yours is or what advice to offer. Hope it gets better!

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#3 of 18 Old 05-18-2012, 04:47 AM

That shape to the nipple does usually indicate a latch problem. I would find a qualified IBCLC in your area and have the baby evaluated for palate problems as wells as (very common!) tongue tie.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#4 of 18 Old 05-18-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenswisdom View Post

That shape to the nipple does usually indicate a latch problem. I would find a qualified IBCLC in your area and have the baby evaluated for palate problems as wells as (very common!) tongue tie.

Exactly what I was thinking....lipstick means baby does not have enough areola in their mouth, caused by a bad latch, which could very likely be caused my a tongue tie.

#5 of 18 Old 05-23-2012, 09:32 PM

It is hard to control big boobs breastfeeding when they're little heads are so wobbly. in the early days my now 4.5 month old had a bad latch which was exactly what the above poster said - he liked to suck mostly on the nipple and not enough of the areola. no tongue tie, just a little mouth and not getting a full proper latch. that i and i think he learned to do it so he could cut off and control the flow since i have a forceful letdown that he would often choke on. and even though he was gaining and it wasn't TOO painful, i knew i had to fix it. some things that worked for us was making sure he had a lot of the areola in the bottom of his mouth so that he was stroking the areola and base of the nipple with his tongue instead of the actual nipple (which is what causes it to look like lipstick). i did this by waiting until he opened really wide and then shoving him on making sure his chin wasnt touching his chest or too extended upwards. because he seemed to like the shallow latch and would pull off to get just my nipple again i would have to do some tricks to get him used to more boob in his mouth. holding him tightly against my body helped, and even stuffing some more boob into his mouth once he was latched on actually helped. pulling on his chin never seemed to work, and i think in the long run it doesn't 'train' them to naturally take in more areola. and because he would choke and gag with a proper latch during letdown sometimes i would pull off and let down in a towel, so he could latch proper and not associate it with getting overwhelmed with milk. oh and lots of nipple cream in the meantime!

homebirth.jpg intactlact.gif love of DH and mama to DS born 1/12

#6 of 18 Old 05-24-2012, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

Thanks for the suggestions! She's latching a lot better now, I only get the "lipstick tube" every now and then, but I think we'll still have a lactation consultant come in to check things out. The confusing thing to me is that the latch itself isn't painful at all, just the after-effects!

trekkie.gifknit.gifMother to an adorable girl born May 2012, miscarriages in July and November 2013.
#7 of 18 Old 05-24-2012, 06:04 AM

we had this with our second child.  his mouth was really tiny, and that was why this was happening.  we saw a lactation nurse several times, but there was not a problem with his latch.  i used a shield for 2 weeks and then stopped using the shield, but it helped me make it till his mouth was bigger and he was a better nurser.  you'll hear bad things about the shields, but i used them with both kids for a few short weeks and i think they helped tremendously.  you don't want them to be a long term solution but they can solve short term problems like lipstick nips.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#8 of 18 Old 05-26-2012, 03:25 PM

I had this too at first, but it went away once his mouth got big enough to get more into it... I just saw it as one of the many downsides to having ginormous knockers (size 36M - yes, you read that right). Glad it seems to be working out now.

Moo.

#9 of 18 Old 08-25-2012, 06:55 PM

When you say that the babies grew out of it, at what point did that happen?  My little girl is 12-weeks-old and had her tongue tie clipped a week ago.  My nipples are still getting compressed and I wonder if she will just grow out of it or if I need to do suck training with her. 

#10 of 18 Old 08-25-2012, 07:16 PM

You need to stretch/massage to avoid reattachment, chiro or craniosacral therapy to releaser muscle tension, stick training (IBCLC can hero with this) to relearn. There is an awesome FB group called "tongue tie babies support" that can help guide you also :-)
#11 of 18 Old 08-25-2012, 07:53 PM

Thank you so much!  I am so frustrated with our ENT now for not giving me good instructions  :(  I will look for the Facebook group.  I found another post on here about the stretching.  It sounds like I am just supposed to push it up and back.  Is that right?  Is there a place to look for directions and/or instructions?  I'll contact the LC on Monday.  Which would you recommend...chiropractor or CST?  I am freaking out a little that I didn't know about this stuff when it was first done...

#12 of 18 Old 08-26-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetteinNJ View Post

Thank you so much!  I am so frustrated with our ENT now for not giving me good instructions  :(  I will look for the Facebook group.  I found another post on here about the stretching.  It sounds like I am just supposed to push it up and back.  Is that right?  Is there a place to look for directions and/or instructions?  I'll contact the LC on Monday.  Which would you recommend...chiropractor or CST?  I am freaking out a little that I didn't know about this stuff when it was first done...

Yes, up and back, and massage over the whole base of the tongue (including the revision site) try to get in and out of baby's mouth as quick as possible. ((hugs)) It's common not to recieve good stretching instructions...if any at all.

The most important thing is that the provider understands breastfeed and ideally tongue tie (if not, that they at least work with babies regularly). If you have two good options, I believe craniosacral therapy is more highly reccomended...we have been going CST with great results.

Hope this helps!

NetteinNJ likes this.
#13 of 18 Old 08-26-2012, 06:09 PM

Curious how OP is doing as well? :-)

#14 of 18 Old 08-27-2012, 09:33 AM

Many thanks, LilMomma!  I feel better knowing that it is not too late to start.  I will also try the recommended aloe/calendula mixture...I know I did an aloe/calendula/hypericum salve that helped me heal post-delivery and I never thought to try an oral safe mixture to help the baby.  I have a friend whose little girl is "failure to thrive" due to some intense suck/swallow disorganization and she has improved with her CST.  I'll ask for a recommendation.

Also thanks for the hugs...I need them *hugs back*

I'm also interested to know how the OP made out...

#15 of 18 Old 05-21-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMomma83  I used a mix of calendula extract and aloe vera juice (50:50) and rubbed that under her tongue just before stretching...it helped her heal properly. ((hugs)) It's common not to recieve good stretching instructions...if any at all.

The most important thing is that the provider understands breastfeed and ideally tongue tie (if not, that they at least work with babies regularly). If you have two good options, I believe craniosacral therapy is more highly reccomended...we have been going CST with great results.

Hope this helps!

How does the Calendula help?

Thanks.

#16 of 18 Old 05-29-2013, 09:36 AM

I just edited my original comment....its a very long story, but my DD needed another revision and I followed some bad advice and did aggressive stretching and calendula in my DD but I my ds2 was also revised and he hated the calendula (it stung him and tasted lime "poopy") so I was gentler with him and gave up using it. My ds2 healed beautifully, while my DD had horrible issues with reattachment, oral aversion, and PTSD. I feel heartbroken that I ever recommended either, let alone did so to my baby.

I recently searched back through some posts in another group and realized that even I started using calendula after the revision in may 2012 and reattachment stopped, that I had also switched to a much gentler and more massage like stretch then as well...I think it may have been the gentle stretch that was key.

I love the second section of this blog post for info on gentle stretching: http://jayesimpson.blogspot.com/2012/10/tongue-tie-gentleness-and-compassion.html?m=1
#17 of 18 Old 07-05-2013, 07:56 AM

Hi.I have a 4 month baby and she alway nags and cry while nursing as if she is complaining about me. Besides, she never nurse avidly.Sometime I have to hug and walk while breastfeeding to put her to sleep.Is there any one to have my problem?Can anybody help me?

#18 of 18 Old 07-11-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarannom View Post

Hi.I have a 4 month baby and she alway nags and cry while nursing as if she is complaining about me. Besides, she never nurse avidly.Sometime I have to hug and walk while breastfeeding to put her to sleep.Is there any one to have my problem?Can anybody help me?

Have you investigated tongue tie?

How is she otherwise?

(Tarrannom, if you post a topic more members will see it and you may get more response).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page