Scar tissue blocking right nipple from releasing milk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-19-2012, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I really really really want to exclusively breastfeed this baby (he/she will be my third). 

I pumped with my first because my breasts were so large that neither of us could comfortably breastfeed.  Even with assistance it felt like I was suffocating her, so I pumped and she got breastmilk that way.  I had a reduction several years later, as well as a lumpectomy about 6 months after that on my right side.  With the reduction, I had some nipple reattachment issues and between that and the lumpectomy, there is some scar tissue built up that seems to be hindering that side from being able to express the milk.

When I squeeze the nipple (have to squeeze it a bit hard) I can get some thick white substance to come out that looks like it is clogging the nipple so nothing can come out.  It seems to come back every day. 

I had my second child 2 years after my last surgery and breastfed her as well as I was able.  I didn't have a contact at LLL then, and lived in a very rural area without many resources.  I also didn't know any other breastfeeding moms at the time, so I did the best I could with what resources I had and what I knew. 

I can make milk in both breasts - My left breast functions normally.  My right breast gets engorged and is painful because I can't express it very well.  I can get a very small bit out, but nothing substantial and it would always frustrate my daughter so she wouldn't nurse on that side.  I tried pumping but it was a LOT of work for very very very little result. 

You know how when you manually express you can see the milk come out of several "holes?" (i am soooo not up on technical terms - sorry).  It is like I can get it out of one, maybe two places, but the rest are clogged. 

Has anyone else experienced this?  I want to be able to breastfeed without my right side becoming painfully engorged, and hopefully be able to breastfeed out of both sides successfully.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 05-22-2012, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You can breastfeed with just one breast and the other breast will stop producing milk. I would be concerned that the breast that has some ducts with blockages could end up having repeated blocked ducts or mastits if you tried to nurse with it.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page