22 Month Old With Cavities Gnawing On My Nipples - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-20-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I can't find information on this anywhere. He's not biting me, it's not like a bite. He has cavities ( upper, in his molars ), but they seem to cause him no pain at all. I don't feel his two year molars coming in, but when I press my finger down where they will be, he does bite down. I try to push my breast back farther in his mouth, but he resists. 

The gnawing thing about several weeks ago and no matter position we were in, it hurt. It felt like a snaggle tooth. I ended up with bleeding raw nipples. It seems much better now if we nurse sitting up, but when I nurse laying down it's horrible. Especially is he's fallen asleep, his jaws are just clenched so tightly that when I try to pull my nipple out, it's being dragged against his teeth and god help he wake up in the middle of that, because he clenches down and pulls it back in. I did try and unlatch him with my finger, but his little jaw is clamped down so tightly, I don't know what to do. 

Any suggestions? I'm open to anything, homeopathy, etc...just not to weaning him. 

#2 of 3 Old 05-20-2012, 03:42 PM

My 25 month old does this. What I have found to work for us is for me to squeeze him in tight to me when we are side-lying to nurse. I put a hand in the middle of his upper back and press his back towards me. This makes him 1) extend his neck and 2) open up for a good latch.

It works for us - may be worth trying.

Also, I try to pop him off before he gets to the clenched teeth phase of sleep. I sacrifice a finger to spare my nipple.

#3 of 3 Old 05-30-2012, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page