My 2 week old wants to nurse all day and night and seems starving when not hooked up! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-22-2012, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm currently EBF my 4th child who turned 2 weeks old yesterday. He was born at 9lbs 1 oz, at one week he was 8 lbs 4 oz, at a doctors appointment a few days later he was back to 9lbs. So, clearly he's getting a good amount of milk and gaining weight. The problem is, I've nursed all my other kids and never did they act like they were starving after nursing as he does. I nurse him for 15-20 minutes per side and offer both sides at each feeding, usually every 45mins to one hour apart. He's constantly hungry even when both sides let down and he's gulping like mad. I had a stomach bug last night through the day today and because I've been so weak and nauseous, we had to supplement with 2oz of formula just to make sure he had enough. It's gotten so crazy that my husband refers to him as the Titty Monster. 

I take my vitamins, eat a fairly good variety and have a high level of fluid intake, so I can't understand what's up with him. I want to continue to EBF, but if this keeps up I'm not going to be able to, especially if I have to go back to work soon. Any advice would be appreciated.

Never give up your rights

chicken3.gif waterbirth.jpg vbac.gif

Mother of 4 boys, 5 if you count my husband

#2 of 10 Old 05-22-2012, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My son ate like this at 2 weeks and now, at 5 months, is a frequent-ish (every 2-3 hours) but normal eater and good gainer. So it could be just a stage!

Do you have to go back to work so soon? That really sucks with a cluster feeder.

How are his poops? Are you getting those too-much-foremilk green poops?

#3 of 10 Old 05-23-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

I'm hoping you're right and it's just a stage, because after 3 other EBF babies and no major problems I really am beginning to feel like it's something I'm doing/not doing that is causing this. It worries me because obviously I want him to have what he needs and not be concerned about whether he's getting enough. I was planning to go back to work in July/August, and I typically pump about 4oz per breast when full, so I thought I'd have enough to not only feed him but save a good supply. Not happening at this point as he's draining enough that I get engorgement after he naps for more than 2 hours. 

He's had normal seedy yellow poops since he was about 5 days old, and lately he's pooping like a champ 4-6 times a day. Wet diapers are just as frequent, so I just can't understand how a baby who weighs 9lbs can need half his weight in food every day. 

Today was a little better, he actually napped for a few minutes longer and I pumped 2 4oz bottles, so maybe his appetite is curbing a little ??? lol

#4 of 10 Old 05-27-2012, 03:43 PM

How did he act after getting a bit of formula?  Maybe you can get a before- and after-feeding weight done by a lactation consultant, just to make sure?  I mean, if he's pooping that much, it seems like he'd be getting enough but the before- and after-feeding weight might give you some peace of mind or alert you if there are issues.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#5 of 10 Old 05-27-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

After 2 oz of formula, he seemed satisfied for a few minutes longer than with breastmilk, but still wanted to nurse at about the same time he would have anyway. It seemed to just hold him over for a few minutes longer and when he pooped it was only slightly less runny. He has been nursing about as much, but it definitely seems it has to do with his growth - he's outgrown all his newborn onesies as of this week, his newborn socks no longer fit, and he feels like he weighs a good deal more too. Even our family has been pointing out how much larger he seems.

I plan to mention the constant need to nurse to his doctor next week just to be on the safe side. If they can do the before and after weight as well I'd be willing to mention that to them to see how much he's getting, but I do still get about 4oz per breast when I pump, so I feel pretty sure that he's getting a lot of milk. 

Thanks for the suggestion :)

#6 of 10 Old 05-31-2012, 06:47 PM

If you are pumping 4 oz, it does seem like it's not a supply issue.  I wonder if he's nursing for comfort - maybe some reflux pain or something?

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#7 of 10 Old 05-31-2012, 07:12 PM

I had one baby who would nurse for 10-15 minutes every two hours and one who needed to nurse for an hour at a time with only an hour or so in between feedings. Every kid is different. I'm sure it's insanely frustrating to have three kids and a baby who wants to nurse constantly but that may be normal for this particular baby. I'd go with it if at all possible.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#8 of 10 Old 05-31-2012, 07:21 PM

Honestly to me it sounds like normal newborn nursing behaviour! 2 weeks is growth spurt time.

hug2.gif

Hang in there - your baby knows what he needs, and as he gets older it should stop being as frantic.

#9 of 10 Old 06-01-2012, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! It is very frustrating but for a day or two now it's been turning into more of a pattern that I've noticed. He nurses like mad for a few hours and then sleeps for 2-3 hours. For example, he nursed from the time we got home from dropping my kids off at school (around 9:00am) til about 20 minutes ago (10:40am) and now he's napping. If my two year old cooperates he might sleep a while, which is also part of the problem - my two year old doesn't yet understand what "quiet" means lol. He's getting better with it but he's only a baby himself, so we can't expect too much from him and it's been tough. 

I appreciate all the advice and encouragement, we are definitely going to stick with it since I've nursed all my kids and they have all been so healthy, we know it's the best we can do for them. It's good to hear that I'm not the only person with a bottomless-pit nurser! 

#10 of 10 Old 06-01-2012, 11:00 AM

There's more kids around to distract you and distract him! Keep at it and try to get some private time as much as possible during feedings. Maybe he just needs more of a quitet zone to have a really good BF session.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page