Help with excessive spitting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-02-2012, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My six week old recently started spitting up excessively. By recently, I mean in the last like 3 days. I started getting worried and decided to weigh him. I then found out he lost .2 of a pound in a week. He hasnt been pooping much and that also worries me. But, I know he wont poop if he isnt keeping much down. I was told that maybe what I have been eating is making him spit so much, so I tried giving him bottles from stuff I pumped a couple of weeks ago. That worked, he didnt spit up. But, that still left me with the possibility that it was my milk or the way he was getting it from me. I need to use a nipple shield in order to nurse him because my nipples are too small. I tried giving him a bottle of the stuff I pumped from last night. Again, no spitting. I just washed and boiled the shield again and am about to try that. My question is, could he be simply eating too much at each feeding? Should I time the amount of time he is latched on? He still only eats from one side at a time and he can usually go 2 or 3 hours between feedings. But, I leave him latched until he lets go. Usually, though, when he lets go he acts like he is still hungry and I put him back on until he stops rooting for it. Any help I can get I will value immensely. Thank you all for your time.
#2 of 4 Old 06-03-2012, 05:50 PM

Well if he is still rooting, he is still hungry. Do you think you have a fast letdown though? If the milk is coming to fast it could cause him to spit up. IF it is a fast letdown, you can just try leaning back more while nursing, or if the milk is spraying out you can take him off for a minute and let it spray in a towel before putting him back.

#3 of 4 Old 06-03-2012, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

He isnt so much as rooting as much as he is making sucking motions and licking his lips. I dont necessarily feel my letdown on the side he is eating from. I feel this weird kind of painful sinking feeling on the other side. Im assuming that is what letdown is. I never got to see the lactation consultant at the hospital. She was on vacation when munchkin was born so im trying to figure this all with research and trial and error.
#4 of 4 Old 06-03-2012, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your help.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page