How much water to drink during BFeeding... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-17-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In my quest to increase my supply I want to make sure I have all the bases covered.  Some people say you should drink to thirst, some that you need to drink extra water, some that drinking too much water is even bad for your supply!  Has anyone actually noticed any difference in supply from drinking more or less?

I drink this each day...

2 litre water

3 cups Bfeeding tea

1 cup tea made with one teaspoon of fenugreek seends

1 SMALL glass of 1.5% alcohol dark beer

1 Hot chocolate

1 de-caf coffee

Does this sound like enough?

1pump.giffamilybed1.gifslinggirl.gifcd.gifdiaper.gif

#2 of 13 Old 06-17-2012, 07:41 AM

To be honest, I notice more of a decrease in my milk supply if I've gone a day eating less than usual -- and not much of a difference if there's been a day when I didn't drink quite enough water.  

I try to make a habit of drinking water after I've been bf'ing (often I'm thirsty then, anyway).  Herb teas will always be hydrating.  I try to drink extra water around whenever I have coffee.  Certain foods will also be particularly hydrating too and helpful to keeping yourself hydrated (I munch on grapes a lot, for example, which I know help).

#3 of 13 Old 06-17-2012, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I notice my supply go down if I'm dehydrated. But you seem to be drinking way lots so that shouldn't be a problem.

Drink to thirst! It's not an exact science.

#4 of 13 Old 06-17-2012, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Drink and eat to thirst. One woman's liquid needs may be completely different from another woman's - things that can affect it are the type of foods you eat (i.e., are they foods that contain more water like fruits and veggies, or foods that contain less like breads), how hot it is where you live and in your house, etc. If you notice your skin is dry then you may want to drink more. It's a good idea to drink cold water and with a straw if you have a hard time drinking as much as your body tells you. 

The beer thing is questionable - I believe the study they did showed that babies nursed more frequently following the beer consumption, but milk transfer was lower - thus, they nursed more often to make up for the lower milk transfer. Just FYI - if you feel it works for you, by all means, feel free to drink it! 

Do you know why your supply is low? How are you judging that it's low? 

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#5 of 13 Old 06-18-2012, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Well I think I must be drinking enough then, i'm not forcing myself but I don't feel like i'm still thirst so it must be ok.

My DD wasn't gaining weight at about 2 weeks so I had to start pumping and supplementing.  I pump 600-700ml a day but she drinks 800-900ml a day, she is 7 weeks old today :)  I tried BFeeding her again last week and I could hear her drinking really well, I gave her some pumped milk after-wards as well and pumped 20 mins after I stopped Bfeeding and I had 30ml so she doesn't seem to be draining me and I think that's how I started making less milk.  I also find it hard to drain myself completely with the pump, it seems I will just go on slowly dripping forever!

#6 of 13 Old 06-18-2012, 10:57 AM

Just as a point of reference, my son has never "drained" me. There's always way more milk I could pump out of either side after he eats. He eats a whole lot and gains like a weed.

Is it possible you could just feed your baby more frequently instead of feeding pumped milk? It's always better for your supply if she takes it straight from the breast.

#7 of 13 Old 06-19-2012, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah i'm sure if I could get her back to the breast it would help my supply.  I'm just not sure how to go about it.  Someone in another thread gave me a great link about reducing supplementing but i'm confused as to when I should be giving the formula.  Should I breastfeed her for 40 mins and then offer extra formula?  The midwife said not to give any formula so that she's hungry enough to breastfeed again in a few hours.  The problem is i'm a wimp when it comes to crying babies, especially if I know their hungry, I just can't stand it and I always cave.  Should I not give any formula during the day and then give her her usual portion of 150ml before bed?  Wouldn't this still make her used to drinking large portions that I don't have?  I find it so confusing, especially when you think it's one of those things that's meant to happen naturally :(

Also last night I fed her at 19.15, she fell asleep at about 20.00 and didn't wake up again until 3.00 this morning!  So I went about 7 hours without pumping because I just didn't expect her to sleep so long!

#8 of 13 Old 06-20-2012, 04:44 AM

Sometimes it is helpful to offer a little bit of suppliment first, then breastfeed...if baby is less hungry they may be more patient with the breast

I would say keep it gentle and fun...I think I pushed my DS2 too hard when trying to get him back to the breast and it didn't go well...I often think if I had kept it more positive we may have been successful.

#9 of 13 Old 06-21-2012, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairebear3 View Post

Yeah i'm sure if I could get her back to the breast it would help my supply.  I'm just not sure how to go about it.  Someone in another thread gave me a great link about reducing supplementing but i'm confused as to when I should be giving the formula.  Should I breastfeed her for 40 mins and then offer extra formula?  The midwife said not to give any formula so that she's hungry enough to breastfeed again in a few hours.  The problem is i'm a wimp when it comes to crying babies, especially if I know their hungry, I just can't stand it and I always cave.  

Oh, me too! I can't stand the crying... I do anything. I am right there with you.

But I'm confused. Clear something up for me and perhaps I can give you some advice. Let's say you let your baby eat from both breasts. When she then latches off, does she start crying from hunger immediately? Or is she full enough to be okay for awhile, but then soon cries again when she feels the milk stores rapidly diminishing?

#10 of 13 Old 06-21-2012, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What were her weights during those first two weeks and what ages? Did you have IV fluids during labor?

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#11 of 13 Old 06-22-2012, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Well it's been a while since I EBF'd so I hope I can remember, in the beginning she was happy but after being at home for about a week there were days where I would have to put her on the breast every hour, she would fall asleep at the breast, I would be constantly trying to keep her awake for her to get to the 20mins per breast, then she would fall asleep in my arms but if I put her back in her crib she would wake within 20 mins or so crying.  Since then, after I started pumping and supplementing if I offered the breast she would seem to get frustrated even though I knew there was still milk.  3 nights ago she suddenly started sleeping for really long stretches at night so I started breastfeeding her at night because my breasts where so engorged from not pumping since the last feed (6hours).  The first night was perfect, the second night she more or less drained the left breast but started fussing half way through the right breast.  I thought she was still hungry and I couldn't understand why because I could see and feel the milk that was left.  I put her back to the left breast and she was more content to suck there for a few minutes, using me as a pacifier!  Last night I pumped for the last time at 21.50, she woke at 3am but I didn't feel engorged, I breastfed her any way (really not for very long) and she fell back to sleep until 6ish this morning.  She isn't the kind of baby that wakes up crying, she just wakes up but I figure if she was starving she would cry, right?  Even after drinking 150ml from a bottle she will cry when it's finished and I burp her for a minute, she doesn't realise she's full then.  Since that first night of being engorged after waiting for so long, I seem to have a bit more milk (don't dare to say it!), I have started re-using my breastfeeding tea-bags, so drinking 6 cups instead of 3 and two cups of fenugreek tea made from seeds instead of 1.  I pumped at 7.50 this morning after breastfeeding at 3am and I had 160ml, if I waited that long during the day I don't think I would have that much.

Yesterday I had a visit from a lactation consultant.  She said to continue breastfeeding at night for a while, then end of next week to substitute one of the afternoon bottles with breastfeeding (try to pump afterwards) and then they will come back to weigh her.  She is eating way more than she is meant to for her weight though.  she calculated 6 x 115-138ml each day (total 690-820ml), at the moment she's getting 6 x 150ml (total 900ml).

Here is her weight chart...I have converted it into pounds so I hope it's more or less correct...

30 april 7lbs

1 may 6.7

2 may 6.5

3 may 6.4

4 may 6.6

5 may 6.6

7 may 6.6

9 may 6.7

11 may 6.9

14 may 6.9 (gained 10 grams, started giving formula, one day)

15 may 7.1

18 may 7.2 (gained 20 grams, started giving formula up until today)

24 may 7.6

29 may 8.3

7 june 9.4

12 june 9.6

21 june 10.1

Length at birth 51cm, yesterday 58cm

The last few days I have managed to scrape by supplementing with one bottle, sometimes it's two...

#12 of 13 Old 06-22-2012, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

ps I have been taking 90mg of dom for about 2 weeks now, the LC was really suprised I was taking so much and said that I should start weaning off it, doesn't this sound way to soon, I don't even have enough milk yet!

#13 of 13 Old 06-22-2012, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

also I forgot to say that is was a cesarean so goodness knows what fluids I had during the two days on the IV...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page