Mastitis and milk supply - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I developed mastitis in my right breast last week. Got on antibiotics right away and felt relief in a few days. But my milk supply is way down on that breast. I'm nursing on the right breast first but not sure how much DS is getting. He's 8 months. When I pump I'm only getting 1 oz out. Does anyone know if mastitis causes a low milk supply and if so is it permanent or temporary? 

#2 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 08:54 PM

I also had mastitis and the supply in that breast dropped very low. We kept nursing from that side and eventually it matched the output of the other again. I don't know if it helped or not, but I visualized my DD helping me heal by sucking all the infection out (and promptly pooping it out!)

Be careful of recurrent infections- take good care of yourself and get rest!

#3 of 6 Old 06-19-2012, 10:02 PM

It is usually temporary.  You can start on that breast and when it seems like baby is getting fussy switch to the right breast and then back to the left breast to help to stimulate more milk.  The breast may feel like it is empty but this is the way that the breast stimulates additional milk production.

#4 of 6 Old 06-20-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! Can you let me know when the milk production increased again? Getting worried about having to supplement soon... thanks!

#5 of 6 Old 06-20-2012, 09:34 PM

Milk production depends on the amount of stimulation.  How often is baby nursing?  On my previous post I was thinking it was your left breast that had the mastitis, but after re-reading you post I realized it was your right breast.

Tips to help increase your milk supply. 

Ofter the right breast (the one that needs to produce more) first and last at each feeding if possible.

Add a pumping of both breasts if possible in the early morning to stimulate additional production.  10 to 15 minutes is plenty long.  The goal isn't to "empty" the breasts, but to stimulate them to produce more. 

Your unaffected breast can usually produce enough milk so that you don't have to worry about supplementing.  If you are concerned that your baby is not getting enough, check the number of wet diapers, his disposition -- is he fussy, content, etc.  Remember that the breast works on supply and demand.  If baby is interested in nursing just continue to do so as this will stimulate the breast.  Usually it is just a few days after the mastitis resolves fully and you are back into the swing of things.  Each person is different. 

#6 of 6 Old 06-20-2012, 10:01 PM

I nearly lost my supply on my left side from mastitis. It wasn't until I started taking goats rue 8 months later that it came back! I reccomend getting some goats rue tincture. Good luck!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page