I don't want to stop breast feeding , help. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-26-2012, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies,

I have a six month old who I am having a problem with. He will only nurse if I have a good amount of milk. If I don't he will not Nurse. This started a few months ago. We started out good but he never nursed for that long, 5-15 minutes. But awhile back we got a terrible bug and the whole family was sick, well he didnt eat much for a few days and my milk supply dropped. So it has been a vicious cycle sice then. He won't nurse unless I am full and my milk won't go up with out him. I have been fighting to keep nursing him but I am about to give up. I have two older kids that I nursed for nine months each with no issues but this little guy is different. We have been giving him formula to kind of supplement and that is also part of the problem. He gets more right away with the bottle then with me. But he doesn't have an issue with going between the two. I should add that I am taking fenugreek 610 mg x 6 a day. Also I take a medication, an anti depressent, and when I take the fenugreek it throws of my meds. I am very sensitive to pills or medicine. So it makes me want to mot take the fenugreek but I want to to keep nursing my Son I have tried to pump regularly but I feel like I don't have enough time. And I know if it's that important I would find the time. Please if you have no advice I could really use some in couragement. I really don't want to stop yet.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Hang in there, it is really early to wean and you don't even want to. It's a phase you can work past. Have you considered a lact-aid or SNS for supplementing? I haven't any experience with it but it lets you supplement at the breast while nursing and so still stimulate supply, either system is about $50. You say he doesn't have a problem going between breast and bottle, but he expects milk to come out from the breast with little work or else gives up, like maybe the bottle is training him that it should be easy to start. I'd try to never give a bottle at all if you can be with him, and to offer the breast all the time. If you're away or find you have to use a bottle, try and pump at about the same time he eats without you otherwise you decrease supply further. Oats and hops and drinking extra water also help increase supply. Fenugreek has mixed results for some people anyway.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would definitely talk to the doctor and a lactation consultant. Talk to the doctor about using herbs with the anti depressant. Talk to a lc so she can work with you on getting baby nursing better.

The herbs will help alot. You might be one of those moms that needs more than just fenugreek. Maybe a combination product like Breastea from http://www.breastea.com so definitely talk to the doc.

Hang in there. Just make sure to be nursing or pumping without going longer than 3 hours.

User Tag List