Mastitis and traveling without baby - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Background:
In the past 6 weeks I've gotten mastitis three times. Each time has been due to stress, fatigue and lack of sleep. I'm trying to get rest but it's hard - I have three kids and no family in town to help me. My middle child was recently hospitalized and I have him home all summer because he is unable to go to preschool. It's been pretty crazy summer!
My baby is 4 months old and I am exclusively breastfeeding.

In a month I am traveling cross country to attend my best friend's bachelorette party. I am not going to be able to take the baby with me. I have no one to watch her and having a baby at a bachelorette party is a joy kill.I'm planning on bringing my pump and am going to get as much rest as I can. Does anyone have any experience with having mastitis and having to be away from the baby? Other than making sure to pump regularly, is there anything else I can do to avoid getting mastitis on my trip?

I apologize for any spelling and grammatical mistakes- I'm typing this out on my phone while nursing!
#2 of 3 Old 07-02-2012, 11:37 AM

Oh gosh, mastitis stinks!

Pump, pump, and pump some more. Use warm heat and massage while pumping and in-between sessions to really empty out as much as you possibly can. Warm showers can help, too...

Good luck!! And I hope you can have some fun, too!!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 3 Old 07-03-2012, 12:09 AM

Hydrate! :) Drink lots of fluids. And definitely pump on fairly regular schedule to keep the breast "empty."

Hope you gets lots of rest soon!

Andrea Olson, DS 2.5 yrs, DD due 10/9/13

Author | EC Simplified: Infant Potty Training Made Easy

Owner | GoDiaperFree.com

[I teach parents of 0-20 month old babies how to stop diapering
full-time and how to avoid...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page