New Exclusive Pumping Tribe! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2013, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the pep talk! I'm having a better time of it the last few days. I got my period, which is so early and crappy. Only 10 weeks post partum! With my son, I had 9 months of period-free bliss. The up side is that it seems to have made my supply go up! I've been pumping longer, but not more frequently, been eating some lactation muffins (basically banana oatmeal muffins with some nutritional yeast added in), drinking mothers milk tea sporadically. But I think the period is really the kicker. Still supplementing with formula at night, but feeling more optimistic about my supply now.
OT is coming twice this week. Hopefully she will have some magic tricks for oral motor exercises.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 03:36 PM

I got my period at 10 weeks pp also.  My dd was 15 months when I got my period back with her so I was looking forward to having longer this time too.  That is awesome about your period increasing your supply!  It will be nice to have something positive to associate with it.  Mine always plummets miserably when my period is approaching.  Ovulation however seems to increase my supply.  It's a strange thing.

Married to my other half

Mama to Madeline (07-10-07) and Finley (10-17-11)

Old 01-20-2013, 11:29 PM

I'm getting braver about pumping in public.  I don't mean in the car--I do that all the time.  I pump while walking in other cities (hang the PISA backpack on the stroller handles, put baby in stroller, proceed).  Today I intended to pump while hiking (cotton poncho over the horns, wearing PISA backpack), while DH wore the baby.  Alas, I forgot the battery pack.  I sometimes throw a handpump in my hiking backpack, but not today.

Anyone else pump in public?  I just feel like it gives me more mobility and freedom with my day.  I don't do it where I live all that often, simply because I can skip home quickly and when I am out, I prefer to babywear over taking the stroller.  I miss the ease of being able to be out all day with my firstborn--boobs and diapers were all he needed.  I can't stay out for hours and hours with girlie unless I pump.  So we make it work somehow.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:58 PM

I have never pumped in public.  I admire you for being so brave!  When I was pumping every 3 hours I would leave an extra handpump and electric pump parts in the car.  I would pop into the employee pump room at the hospital I work at and use their medela symphony with my parts or handpump in the car if we weren't near the hospital.

Married to my other half

Old 01-29-2013, 07:02 PM

Can't say I've pumped in public yet.  I do pump in the car at least a few times per month.  

I also got my cycles back at 10 weeks pp with both my boys.  There wasn't any difference for me between EBF #1 and EP #2.  

Plus, now I can see that pre-ovulation, my production tanks.  I didn't notice a significant drop during my period the first cycle PP.  I will have to see how cycle two goes.  I was so disappointed to see the drop in milk production because I was coming close to pumping 4-6 oz per session (total for both breasts) and that was pumping every 2-3 hours which meant ds did not need any supplemental formula.  However, I noticed he was going thru a growth spurt as well which was obvious when I saw how quickly my fridge stash was depleted!  Last weekend, ds had 50/50 bm/formula while I worked hard to get my output back up.  I've only managed to put 20 oz away in the deep freezer... not really getting very far there.  

With my goal to EP and keep it going till ds is 6 months then to drop down to 50/50 bm/form till he's a year, I'm half way there!  Who knows, maybe I'll up the challenge and try to make EP go past 6 months but I know I have to keep my goal attainable.  It is tiring to get up around the clock to pump.  And with us considering ttc #3 I can't imagine keeping up with it all.  

Rhianna momma to ds #1 - 9 & ds #2 - born 10/22/2012

Old 02-15-2013, 07:15 AM

I wanted to get an update in on how my cycles affect my supply.  I've noticed significant changes to my output throughout my cycle - sometimes down to half of my normal production!  I've had to do more formula than I've wanted to during those times but I know that stressing out about output does not help.  

I know that everyone's different but thought getting my story out there may help other women who are questioning why they aren't producing at levels they were expecting.  

I also find that we have to feed ds ebm mixed into formula or he gets so bound up.  Which isn't recommended but again, that's what works for us!

Old 02-15-2013, 01:38 PM

I just made it to seven months of EP!! I just wanted to share my news with some people who know what it's like. I am both dreading and looking forward to when my son will need more milk than I can produce. I seem to be right at the threshold. Good luck to all ya'll and keep on pumpin'!

Old 02-15-2013, 08:22 PM

Wow that is amazing! Your LO is so lucky to have you for a mama.

My supply seems to have leveled out. Just supplementing about 3-6oz formula at night. Working with an OT on the oral motor stuff still. It's such a slog. One step forward, two steps back. For me as much as her too. One minute, I'm filled with hope and ready to take on the world. Next feed, I just want to throw in the towel. The smell of formula is honestly what keeps me going. I think it reeks!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:05 PM

Congratulations Ethylester!!

I'm getting to the point where I wonder why I'm spending time pumping anymore.  Honestly, it's purely stubbornness.  I made a goal of 18 months and unless my pump bites the dust before then I guess I'll keep pumping until April.  Although it's very tempting to just give it up.  I'm making 1oz total on a good day and 1/2 oz on my bad day.  That's from multiple pumping sessions... so yeah.. 

Married to my other half

Old 02-28-2013, 09:50 AM

Ugh.  My breastpump is dying.  It's under warranty, so a new one is on the way, but this is so not what an EPer needs!  I hate hand pumping so much that I'm >this< close to just advertising my services as a wet nurse for today and giving DD frozen milk.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:13 PM

Congrats to you both on your pumping!  And a huge bummer on the pump burning out.  That was my worst nightmare so I went on craigslist and picked up two backups... they were pumps only which was fine since I had all the other parts and I spent a whopping $50 for two pumps.  What was super is I donated one to my stepdaughter along with some parts so she could pump for her newborn.  She made it a month... and went to formula claiming her supply dropped.  Oh well, some EBM is better than none!

I've almost made it five months (on the 22nd) and I can't believe it.  I am down to seven pumping sessions per day and supp'ing here and there.  My mini goal was to at least be providing 1/2 EBM at 6 months and I'm way outdoing my goal with most days no formula.  I'm thinking I will continue to drop a session again at 6 months since seven per day is manageable for now.  Weekends are the hardest for me though which is weird but my office job is much more suited to pumping since I'm stuck in one place vs running all over like we do on the weekend. 

My LO is taking some solids which I am ok with since he was the one that wanted to try them... he takes a little fruit or veg a few times per week.  If he is anything like his older brother, it is merely a phase and he'll be back to just wanting bm.  

Keep pumping everyone!

Old 03-13-2013, 11:35 AM

Well..yesterday was my last day of pumping.  I made it 17 months.  Not quite to my goal of 18, but the last 2 weeks I've been getting less than 1/2 oz total per day.  I haven't put my pump away yet.  I need a few days to work up to that.  It's very sad that I will never make milk for another baby.  Keep up the good work ladies!

Married to my other half

Old 03-13-2013, 07:45 PM

I have been EPing for 15 months for my 29 week surviving twin preemie. My goal was to pump until march which would have been her due date. Right now I'm only pumping 3 times a day and able to keep up with her 18 ounces she drinks each day. Some times she wants more and I still have a little bit in the freezer. I keep saying that I am going to do gown to just pumping twice a day but I'm attached to EP. I hate pumping but I love offering BM to my baby! I started me cycles back when both of my kids were 4 months. I remember the panic the first time I ovulated and my milk practically disappeared for 3 days. The LC just said keep pumping but finally a La Leche League representative explain to me how when you ovulate your calcium levels drop supressing the lactation hormone. The fix is a calcium supplement durin the 4 or 5 days right before and during ovulation! Complete fix!
Old 03-14-2013, 04:32 AM

Thank you for the ovulation tip!

Old 03-14-2013, 02:53 PM

I will try the calcium!
Today I spilled 3oz!!! My son (3yo) was helping me and I let him put the lid on the bottle. I didn't check the lid, just stuck it in the cooler bag I keep upstairs for pumping in the night and first thing in the morning. Stuck it in sideways (which I have NEVER done before). Well, it was one of those 2-piece lids that come with the pump kit. My dear sweet boy had the lid insert on the outside of the ring. greensad.gif I almost cried. That's my biggest pump of the day, first thing in the morning.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:10 PM

Who said there is no crying over spilled milk? I cry every time! I spilled 3 ounces last week on top of my brand new work laptop!!!!!! Yikes! Awful day!
Old 03-19-2013, 01:59 PM

Ack! A double whammy! No fair.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:00 AM

Got sick, baby now only wants bottle. Struggling with this. Some logistical tips, pumping bras, etc.

For pumping bra don't have to change check out the dairy fairy - new kickstarter program. Haven't gotten mine yet, but am hopeful. Also like the simple wishes pumping bra and my medela freestyle. Heard good things about hygea breast pump. My son does well in bouncy seat with overhead toys. I put him where I can look at him, smile interact. I also have to freeze or scald milk right away because of lipase so he sits there for a few minutes while I either pump straight into bags and take them to the freezer, or pump into bottles then bags.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:24 PM

Wanted to report that breast milk is apparently even good for laptops. 3 ounces went into the keyboard after I turned it over and cleaned it out still works perfectly!
Old 03-31-2013, 03:49 PM

Happy Easter!  

I'm glad to read that BM is good for laptops cuz it is just a matter of time before I spill some on mine...

Made it to 5 months and decided to wean off my 2 am pumping session.  This momma needs some sleep!  It isn't an overnight process so some nights I'm still up pumping and I'm sure not sleeping through the night and neither is my little one.  Also cut back to about 6 pumping sessions per day now.  

Trying to figure out what I'm going to do once baby turns one and shouldn't be using a bottle all the time.  Things were so different for ds#1 since he was EBF and nursing so having a nursing session after he was a year old was no biggie.  

I understand a number of infants/toddlers still use bottles after one year of age but what about after 18 months?  When do you wean off a bottle?  And then do you put the pumped milk into a sippy?  I have questions that will just need to be answered as we continue on our pumping journey I guess.  

I have been putting 1-2 oz of formula into most bottles again since I need ds#2 to not object to the flavor of formula - I can't be certain I'll be able to provide pumped breast milk 100%.  He's been doing well and there are days when he doesn't get much formula and there are days again when he's back to 50/50.  

Its been an interesting process, this pumping journey.  I'm glad that I've been able to put as much breast milk into my little guy as possible and I'll continue to pump and provide for as long as I can.  

Thanks ladies for all your help and support!!!

Old 04-02-2013, 09:28 PM

My 2.5 ye old still takes a bottle at night. I'm not concerned about it at l. I think part if it is cultural... I'm from Venezuela and I see friends on FB with 3 yr olds still with bottles.....
Old 04-03-2013, 01:11 PM

About the bottle thing, I had never given this any thought until I saw it mentioned on another thread here.  I assumed that babies just grew out of it.  The last time I was at the health visitors office, I saw on the chart that they recommend stopping with the bottle at 18months.  I asked the paediatrician who was on duty and she said it's to dissuade people who let kids drink all day from bottles with milk/juice/water etc or putting them to bed with bottles.  She had a similar view about paci's, that they should only have them for sleeping and not all day.

I think I would continue to let my LO have a bottle at night as long as she wants, it's seems like such a good comforter rather than a cup...

1pump.giffamilybed1.gifslinggirl.gifcd.gifdiaper.gif

Old 05-20-2013, 06:26 PM

Bumping us up a little and chiming back in that I have cut down to 5-6 pumping sessions per day.  I've been trying to get rid of the during the night 2-3 am session but it is just too long between sessions most nights and I wake up from a horrible 'where's my pump' dream.  I've just about made it 7 months (on the 22nd) which seems amazing to me when I think back to how hard it was to ramp up my output but still seems so far away when I think about making it to 1 year.  

I did up the formula intake so he gets roughly 50/50 because during my ovulation and period my output drops tremendously - like at least 1/2.  Even with all the supplements and vitamins, I wasn't able to increase my supply unless I was back to pumping 10+ times per day which was not an option.  

I know that wasn't my dream or my ideal but at this point, pumping exclusively is so much different that breastfeeding that I can't really compare the ongoing relationship I have with my pump to extended breastfeeding!  That was so much 'better' with ds#1 than this pumping relationship.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:22 PM

Did your supplements include calcium? That completely fixed my supply issue around ovulation
Old 05-28-2013, 07:36 PM

Yes I have been taking an extra 1000 mg daily but it hasn't really done enough.  

Old 08-23-2013, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hello All! Wow! I haven't been on in soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long! It is seriously crazy how busy my life got with my LO. I see some familiar faces :-) Hello!!!!!!!! So, I made it. Stopped pumping when my daughter was 14 months (she's 16 months now). I feel so good that I made it, but it was also the hardest thing I've ever done and it was awful and it's changed the trajectory of my life (for now anyway). I restarted the thread a long time ago (so see beginning for my story) but I wanted to check in, say hi, give some encouragement and try to help anyone I can on this crazy path...

Me = Healer, yogini, lactivist, step-mom, and wife to my dream come true joy.gif So grateful-- baby #1 April 2012

User Tag List