Oversupply, comfort nursing (suspected reflux), and plugged ducts...help. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-07-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been working to reduce my oversupply for about 3 weeks and had great results from block feeding. This past week, my 7 week old ds seems to have starting showing symptoms of silent reflux (hoping to get him to the Dr. on Monday). He is in obvious pain, then wants to comfort nurse. He gulps milk for a while, then crying again, over and over until he falls asleep. He will only stay asleep if I wear him in the sling. He has occasional breaks when he returns to my happy, smiley baby, but not often in the last 2 days.

Problem #1 is that I am hugely engorged from all of these short nursing sessions. I have a plugged duct and see no way to unplug it other than pumping, which I know will only increase my supply. Problem #2 is that many short nursing sessions are supposed to be good for reflux, but I have no idea how to lower my supply enough so that he is getting any hindmilk whatsoever, while also solving the plugged duct problem. He sleeps for long stretches at night and in the sling, and when he wakes I'm so engorged. I've been trying to pump just a little to slow the forceful letdown, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Help! Any advice? I SO wish I didn't have to deal with this on top of the complete stress from his nonstop crying and obvious pain!

Thanks for your help.

#2 of 2 Old 07-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)

Have you tried the hot shower and soapy massage thing? That always helped me with plugged ducts. I think you'll need to get the plugged duct resolved however you can before working on your oversupply. Have you tried contacting an LLL leader for help? That would be my best advice. smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page