Mothering Forum banner

It's thrush :(

704 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Adaline'sMama 
#1 ·
My 5 week old ds has had white patches on his tongue for the last couple of weeks that I hadn't been worried about. Now he has them on the inside of his cheeks and my nipples are killing me. They're dry, cracking and sore. He's my fifth baby and this is literally the most painful that breastfeeding has ever been for me.

I read in The Baby Book that you can apply acidophilus powder to baby's mouth twice a day; I already have capsules in the fridge, so I'm starting that. I'm also planning to take acidophilus orally and maybe dust my nipples with it after feedings (at least when I'm home).

What else should I consider? Are there reasons to avoid more medical thrush treatments?

#2 ·
We treated DD's thrush with acidophilus powder and also with apple cider vinegar (Braggs, with the mother still on top). I tried some gentian violet, but that was a purple mess. It went away, and never came back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.