Thinking about breastfeeding again after weaning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-11-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!  I have a 19 month old daughter who I weaned off from breastfeeding just over a month ago.  I weaned her because I was going to take a trip to visit my new nephew who was born at the end of May (I actually had to reschedule my trip to 2 weeks ago, but I still had weaned her by the start of June.)  So, I went on my trip, came back, she survived without me, and all is good.  A friend of mine recently visited with her new baby daughter and my daughter was very intrigued and interested in seeing the other baby breastfeed.  She actually nuzzled in close to my chest and stayed there!! I was amazed--she must remember!! It has made me think about breastfeeding her again!!!  I don't want to have to pump, as I got so tired of pumping and don't have time to do it.  But, I do think I would like to resume bfing her again in the morning and night, as I did before we weaned!  She really enjoyed breastfeeding and I do feel that my bond with her is not as strong since I have stopped breastfeeding.  I also would like to help boost her immune system as much as I can, an added bonus of breastfeeding! 
Is there a way for me to re-lactate?  I have checked, and I am still producing milk (I can squeeze some out when I pinch both my nipples.  Can I also just re-introduce the morning and nighttime feeds? My husband is going to think I'm crazy of even contemplating this!! I weaned my son off at 14 months, because I was ready and never looked back.  Weaning my daughter at 18, I had done for the trip, and I thought I was ready, but my daughter actually really liked bfing and I wasn't as tired of it, as I was when I weaned my son.

Any help and suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Me again!
I wanted to add that I definitely noticed not as close to my son after I had stopped breastfeeding him.  He went from being a mama's boy to wanting to be with Daddy.....I am noticing this with my daughter a little bit too, and while it's precious to see, it also makes me a bit jealous, I have to admit!!

So, all in all, I am mostly wanting to re-connect with her on that close level again!! It felt right and now, with a bottle of milk in hand, it just feels wrong!

Old 07-11-2012, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Absolutely! The science alone would back it up, but for the personal reasons that you stated also.

I have a 32 month old nursling and do not have experience with weaning but from what you have stated, I would return to your nursing relationship. Good luck, whatever you decide. All the best to you.

User Tag List