Constant nursing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-13-2012, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS is 7 weeks now, and demands to nurse constantly. If he is awake, he wants to be eating. He tends to only sleep for 10-15 minute increments throughout the day, with one 3-4 hour stretch at night, after which he wants to stay latched on for the rest of the night. He had some trouble regaining his birth weight, but made it back up at 5 weeks. He receives one 4 oz bottle in the evening from his dad, and other than that, it's all boobie, all the time. I have other kids, and it's really difficult not to feel like they are being ignored when I am nursing so often. Also, he prefers to nurse when we are both sidelying. Does anyone else have similar experiences? This is my 3rd nursling, and I never had any problems before. Is this normal? Also, I have been taking fenugreek for several weeks thinking it might be a supply issue, but I see him swallowing when he is sucking, and I am engorged after his night sleeping period. Words of wisdom welcome.

#2 of 5 Old 08-14-2012, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Hmmmm, sounds normal. In societies where babies nurse unrestricted, every 20 minutes is quite common. The tell tale sign though would be weight gain, and wet diapers. That is a long time to regain birth weight so I can understand your concerns, regarding supply.

Do you think there is a tongue tie?  Although from what you said, it seems he is transferring milk well.

Do you wear baby in a carrier or sling on your body? That would enable baby to feed at will and not slow you down at all. You could still tend to your other children without having to stop and nurse (I realize you said he likes to side lie though). There are many videos tutorials online and images of sling nursing. It can make life so much easier.

#3 of 5 Old 08-14-2012, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I would say it's normal. Around 6 weeks some babies go through a growth spurt. I would let him nurse as much as I could so the milk supply increases.

caffix.gif

#4 of 5 Old 08-22-2012, 07:04 PM

I forgot how it is called .. bunching? bunch nursing? bunch feeding? something like that..

You will experience it through the entire nursing career. It comes regularly and the explanation

that makes sense to me was that as child's body grows so do the the needs for increased

milk production so the kid at regular or irregluar intervals based on the growth rate

and the child's grow spurts will do that, they will just nurse constantly and your milk supply will go up then they stabilize for a good while and they will do it again. It is easy to notice pattern as you will see as now, it goes on over day and night for couple to few days and then levels as comes back .. to what it was but at the same time a child gets more milk from you without you knwoing it ;)

it is nature's way of keeping the supply in order with demand.

It is bit irritating and totally tiring at the beginning but once you know the drill you will relax and get easy with this and just go with the flow. I noticed used to take a pill of dry Alfalfa leaves of course organic.. to incrase my milk supply at those times and my little one did not have to work so hard

and at the same time.. I remember sometiems having the oversuply after those feedings sessions so I had to use cabbage leaves to battel engorgement for a day only to have too low supply the next few days hahaha.. but then again.. I nursed my nursling for 6.5 years so I have seen and been through eeeeeeeeeeeeeverything!

If I might tip you now on one more thing before it will come.. they all eventually start bitting on your nipple pretty hard when they are teething and are bigger.. some mothers scold them,

my way was simply and working. just give him a plastic bottle nipple for a sec to bite on and then go back to nursing.. I reemember my little one biting me at about year and something and so I told her, here is a biting toy, if you need to bite, I have it handy right here, bite on it and do not bite mama..

worked like a charm as they just hurt on their gums and need to bite, and they don't want to bite you but they have no other choice so it is smart to give them that other option.

I never bottle feed my child but had bottle nipple around from gift bottles we got from well meaning family ;) make sure it si bpa free... or get some other things.. mabye you can

just roll piece of fabric and give it as a biting toy.

good luck and happy nursing

#5 of 5 Old 08-23-2012, 09:20 AM

oh, you are most welcome! After 6.5 years I am afraid I am full of tips :) and nothing to do with them hahaha

I wish I knew what I know now and it would be so much easier,then again... first time is always the learning curve.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page