Need help! Suggestions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-18-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, let me start at the beginning. My son was born with a heart defect that required surgery a few days after birth. I wasn'table to nurse him after birth, but a few days after birth I was able to non nutritive nurse him before his surgery (I had to pump first). They didn't want him getting to much food in hs belly before the surgery. After surgery the Drs were very concerned about him getting enough calories so they required him to have bottles so they could measure his intake. Luckily, i didnt have to supplement with high calorie formula because they tested my milk had more calories than thr formula (yay!) They let me beginning nursing a few days after surgery, but only a few times a day. Whenever I did nurse him he would fall asleep, so I just didn't feel that confident since he needed his calories. Once we got home I started to nurse more, but he just fell asleep a lot and there wasn't a lot of swallowing. The swallowing I did hear was gulping. His latch was also pretty shallow and painful. My nipples also were lipstick shaped when he came off. It seems like I would nurse for an hour, and then he would fall asleep, and wake up starving 15 minutes later. I know it isn't a supply issue, I pump around 65-70 ounces a day. Its like he can't transfer the milk very well. I feel like what he is getting from the breast is what I let down and it can just drip into his mouth. I have also noticed when he has a bottle he has trouble keeping suction on the bottle, milk sometimes shoots out the sides of his mouth, and I hear clicking noises. I saw a LC and she said it was nipple preference for the bottle and he was being lazy. But I am beginning to wonder if it is something else. Maybe a PTT? He loves being at the breast, and will latch (shallow) comfort nurse all day. I am really at a loss, he needs my milk, I have a ton to give, but what is going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Welcome to Mothering Samlisajosie!

Sounds like he may be having some nipple confusion issues. Is he gaining weight? Having plenty of good wet diapers a day?

Anyone have any advice to share?

#3 of 4 Old 08-20-2012, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are many midline defects, including heart defects (not sure if the one your child has is our not) and tongue tie. Falling asleep at breast, lips stick nipples, bottle preference, nipple pain, and gulping at the breast as well add poor milk transfer are all signs of tongue tie. I wonder if that may be an issue as well....
#4 of 4 Old 08-20-2012, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Congratulations on your new little one! My first thought was tongue tie as well. If a tongue tie has been ruled out by a regular ped and LC, you may want to seek out someone with more expertise in tongue ties. My DD's tongue was missed by multiple doctors and LCs at first.

Sending good wishes your way.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page