4 month old lost weight! Ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-23-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 4 month old went from 11 lbs 13 oz at her 2 month check up to 11 lbs 3 oz at her 4 month check up.  She seems completely healthy although my pediatrician is running a metabolic panel just to be safe.

We are all puzzled by the loss.  It doesn't seem to be a supply issue.  She latches well, always seems full when done, and has 5-6 wet diapers a day.  She doesn't fuss when she is done nursing.  Isn't lethargic, etc.  She nurses (on average) every 2-3 hours during the day, and she sleeps 6-7 hour stretches at night.

I did have to give up dairy for a few weeks, because she only has 1 bowel movement or so a week.  The doctor wanted to see if it was a reaction.  He has given me the go ahead to slowly work it back in.  She only is a once-a-weeker whether I eat dairy or not.  I just started adding it back in yesterday.

She was 7 lbs 10 oz and 21" when she was born.  She was 7 lbs 6 oz when she left the hospital.

She is now 4 months old, 11 lbs 3 oz, and a whopping 28.5". 

The pediatrician doesn't seem overly concerned.  He told me to just try to get her to nurse more and bring her back in 2 weeks for a weight check.  He said if she gains anything by then we are good.

We do live in Atlanta where it is pretty hot, and yesterday before her appointment I had both kids at the Botanical Gardens.  She had only nursed ONCE prior to her appointment, and that was 6 hours before it.  So I think a part of it could be she was just dehydrated slightly.

Any ideas? 

Edited to add: I nursed my 2 year old for 18 months without supplementing or having any issues.  He is also very tall and skinny.  He's 39" and weighs 28 lbs.  He has always been like that, but he didn't lose weight until he was a year old.

SAHM to a boy (2010) and a girl (2012).
#2 of 3 Old 08-25-2012, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Hi NewMom610,

Congratulations on your new LO. Dehydration was one thing that came to my mind too; did your ped check for that? Also, is your DD more active recently? My DD gained at a much slower rate when she started rolling over and then again when she started trying to crawl.

Lots of good wishes to you!

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 3 Old 09-02-2012, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, How is your DD doing now? ? Is she eating solid already??

Living is great but being a MOM is even better

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page