Thrush! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-04-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We found a lesion on my DDs tongue that looks like thrush! That explains why my nipples have been so sore! Any tips on getting rid of it? I'll start taking probiotics (sp?) and eat yogurt regularly. What about probiotics for her? Where could I get some?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 07:11 PM

Thrush is super painful - I just got done with about a month of it personally.  =/  Poor thing.  What "cured" me was basically letting kefir sit on my tongue for a while.  I have no idea why but it was soothing and within a day or so the stubborn thrush cleared up.  Now... I'm not sure how that would work for an infant.  Maybe someone else can chime in with that.  But the point is that just eating it didn't work for me - I actually had to let it sit there.  (It felt good too, btw.)  I don't think an infant should have kefir put in their mouth necessarily, unless it was maybe super runny - and if she is EBF then I don't even know about making that a first food sort of thing.  But... maybe there are some drops or something you can put on it?  I am not an expert at all, hopefully someone else can chime in with better words of advice.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

I highly, highly recommend this. I battled yeast infections on my breasts and finally figured out that the yeast was living on my bras, cloth pads, etc. (even after washing). Once I washed all of those in hot water and vinegar (while also on a course of a prescription oral anti-yeast medication), it was the end of the yeast infections. I've heard that some people have cleared up infections without medication and in my case I tried non-medication routes as well, but ultimately, I did need medication in my case.

My DD did not develop thrush (I was EPing), so I can't advise on that specifically, but from what I've read, it is possible to pass yeast infections back and forth.

Good luck; I hope you and your LO feel better soon.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Old 09-06-2012, 08:29 AM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Old 09-07-2012, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! We are both taking probiotics and plain full fat yogurt. The priobiotics are in powdered form so I need to figure out the best way to give them to her since she doesn't take a bottle well. I mixed them in yogurt but she didn't finish all the yogurt I mixed up. The instructions on the bottle and the lady at the natural food store kept saying that I can mix it in formula, even though I kept saying the she's never had formula and is breastfeed. :/ I wonder if I can mix with water or oil and use the medicine dispenser. Shes takes medicine from it really well because I started cheering after every swallow. smile.gif

What's GSE?

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Old 09-07-2012, 08:01 AM

Nutribiotic Grapefruit Capsules 125 mg  2 capsules 3x day for a couple weeks, then take dosage down gradually

Grapefruit seed extract instructions ...towards bottom of page more...

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-CP

Motherlove Thrush and diaper rash cream, put on nipples after each feeding

and the probiotics of course

Old 09-07-2012, 08:02 AM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Old 09-07-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

The lesion is gone! She had her 6 month checkup today and the doctor couldn't find it! I just need to get it off of me now. Thanks for the advice. smile.gif

Old 09-07-2012, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydove View Post

The lesion is gone! She had her 6 month checkup today and the doctor couldn't find it! I just need to get it off of me now. Thanks for the advice. smile.gif

Great news! I hope it clears up easily and quickly for you. Sending good thoughts! smile.gif

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

User Tag List