Bottle to breast? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-17-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been absolutely heartbroken the last week that my LO won't latch. He was toungue tied at birth and it was corrected at 4 days old. He is 10 days now.

I've been pumping and bottle feeding but I'm so scared we won't be able to transition back to the breast. I've seen a LC 6 times now. But no one can seem to say why he's rejecting the breast now (he nursed initially but it was painful which is how we discovered toungue tie). He hasn't nursed well since the correction and the last few days have been straight up rejection of the breast at all. Ive tried a nipple shield but he reacts the same way. That, and if I can get him to latch on the sheild, there is never enough stimulation to get y milk to let down with that thing on.

I'm so scared of not being able to BF. would love to hear from anyone in a similar situation or BTDT mom's that have transitioned from bottle to breast successfully.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 10:45 PM

My son was tongue tied at birth, and it wasn't corrected until he was 6 days old.  Until then, I fed him formula through a bottle nipple I had to widen since he couldn't suckle at all.  Yet once the tongue tie was corrected, he latched right on.  He always had a poor latch, he took a long time with each feeding and tended to make weird smacking and popping noises.  But by the time he was about 3 months old he was exclusively breastfeeding.

Have you tried going topless with him for as much skin to skin contact as possible?  Just close the blinds to your windows and carry him around so that he's constantly in contact with your breasts.  He will get used to the feel and smell of his milk coming from you.  It may help with your let down too, to have the constant stimulation.  This phase doesn't have to last long, but it can help jump-start your breastfeeding attempts.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:38 AM

Parker's mom, don't despair. I pumped for 10 weeks for my DD and transitioned her back to breast successfully. She was EBF by 14 weeks and still nurses lots now at almost 18 months. Big hugs to you!

First things first, what brand of nipple shield are you using? My LC said to only buy medela brand since others are too thick and don't stimulate well.

I'll look for another thread where I went through my experience and what worked for us and I'll post the link.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:45 AM

Old 10-01-2012, 11:03 PM

So how is it going?  Any updates?

Old 10-02-2012, 02:51 AM

I also just wanted to leave some encouragement. My last ds didn't nurse until he was 2 weeks old (open heart surgery) and thank goodness he has picked it up and has gone to exclusively nursing.

Have you tried  latching him after getting letdown with a pump, so the milk is right there? I agree with lots of skin to skin. You can teach him to nurse, don't give up :)

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

User Tag List