worried about an abscess - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-22-2012, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 I have an almost 6-week baby girl, and nursing has been so challenging, almost from the start. We've seen an LC two times, which was good, but never solved our original problem of a bad latch.

Anyway, my big problem now is that I developed a very serious case of mastitis about a week ago. I ended up in urgent care this past Monday night with a fever of 102.3. I was put on IV antibiotics and fluids. The next day I was sent for a breast ultrasound, where I found out that I had an abscess. They drained the abscess then, and since then have drained it 3 more times. I met with a breast surgeon yesterday who minced no words for me. She said I have to get as much milk out of the breast with the abscess as I can, since it just reaccumulates every time after it's drained. She said that if I don't get it all out, I could be facing a mastectomy. Needless to say, I've pretty much been crying and totally distraught since that appointment yesterday. I'm also still going in to urgent care for IV antibiotics every day. I'm totally strung out and exhausted, and I can't even bear to think about losing my breast too.

Does anyone have any experiences with breast abscesses that could somehow reassure me that things might be OK? I feel like the breast surgeon was trying to scare me a little bit since she clearly disapproved of the fact that I had a homebirth and didn't see a regular OB/GYN at any point during my pregnancy, and also that we hadn't yet seen a pediatrician. She told me that I hadn't received proper care during my pregnancy and post-partum, and that I should have learned how to breastfeed properly, which I would have if I'd had my baby in a hospital. So it may be possible that she was trying to scare me; on the other hand, she's a breast surgeon, so shouldn't she know?

I am just very upset right now, and we have very few friends and no family around. I could use some encouragement from people who have been in my position.

32, married to DH, 35--expecting our first sometime around Aug. 20!

#2 of 2 Old 09-22-2012, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I obviously haven't seen your breast, but it seems HIGHLY unlikely that they would do a mastectomy for an abscess.  It would not be out of the question that you may need to go to surgery to have the area opened up and cleaned out thoroughly.  But the surgeon certainly would not remove any more tissue than necessary. 

Please remember that you have the right to request a different surgeon.  You do not have to accept someone who is not treating you how you should be treated just because they were the ones on call at the time.  Sadly people seem to think that they have to take whatever doctor shows up to see them.  Good luck and don't be afraid to speak up if you are uncomfortable. 

Married to my other half

Mama to Madeline (07-10-07) and Finley (10-17-11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page