lactation cookies.. resources? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-20-2012, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

Does anyone know of people/vendors who can sell lactation cookies which can be a bit more custom? There are a couple of Amazon but I want no dairy, eggs and lots of brewers' yeast.

I am not much of a baker and wouldn't know how to without dairy and eggs :-(

Thanks

#2 of 10 Old 10-20-2012, 05:29 PM

I don't know of a vendor and haven't tried making them myself, but a good alternative to eggs are flax seeds, oddly enough. An alternative to milk would be almond or coconut milk. 

Good luck. :)

If you're on pinterest, check out these recipes for breastfeeding cookies! :) If not, just request an invite and you'll likely be accepted within a week or two.

#3 of 10 Old 11-27-2012, 05:25 AM

I made a batch of lactation cookies last week and have pretty much decided that eating a bowl of oatmeal with flax and brewers yeast is way easier and less sugary. If you do make cookies, I agree with previous poster that upping the flaxseed would probably be a good substitution for the eggs. The butter could be replaced with coconut oil.
#4 of 10 Old 11-28-2012, 08:12 AM

I have been experimenting with a no-bake lactation cookie recipe. It is stickier then regular no-bake cookies, but it's kinda addictive.... Here is what I have right now:

¾ cup whole milk (can prolly sub any alternative milk, almond or oat would prolly be better anyway)

¾ cup sugar (white or brown, this helps it set)

½ cup blackstrap molasses

½  teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)

½ cup sesame tahini (can sub almond butter or peanut butter, almond butter is your best bet though since tahini has a strange flavor in cookies)

3 cups instant oatmeal

½ cup ground flax

1 cup almonds (or pecans, or a mix of dried fruit and nuts, DO NOT use walnuts)

2 TBS (6 teaspoons, 1/8 cup) cinnamon

½ tsp salt

Take one-two cookie sheets and grease or line with foil or parchment or silicone.

Put the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.

Put the wet ingredients in a saucepan and heat to boiling, boil for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and pour immediately into dry ingredients. Stir together (this will give your arm a workout) until well mixed. Quickly put onto cookie sheet(s) by rounded teaspoons (or use a melon baller), alternately make into a brick about 1" thick.

Allow to sit overnight (I put it in the oven so the cats don't mess with it). It will still be soft set but not super sticky. If you did the brick brake it apart into bite size pieces.

If you have fenugreek seeds (you can open the teabags and use those seeds) you could add those too. I would try 2Tbs to start maybe up to 1/4 cup? I haven't tried it yet as I am out of fenugreek, but I think it should work....

cieloazul is right though, eating a bowl of oatmeal with things mixed in is easier and less sugary (I put in pecans, sometimes raisons or craisons, and cinnamon which is also suppost to be a galac. When I had fenugreek seeds I put in 2teaspoons of that too.)

#5 of 10 Old 11-28-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Turns out my baby is allergic to Wheat, Dairy, Eggs, Oats, nuts and corn....

Can someone still swing by a lactation cookie recipe for me? PLEASE???? 

#6 of 10 Old 11-28-2012, 11:13 AM

I don't know of any lactation cookie recipe that does not use oats. BUT I love making up recipes and I might be able rework something for you if you like. Besides galacs what do you like in a cookie?

#7 of 10 Old 11-28-2012, 12:37 PM

looking around I found this recipe: http://koreanfood.about.com/od/snacksanddesserts/r/Korean-Sesame-Candies-Kang-Jung.htm

a simple sub would be molasses instead of honey (more iron) or you could try:

2.5 cups sesame seeds (regular or black)

½ cup ground flax

½ cup fenugreek seeds

1.5 cup sugar

1 1/8 cups water

1/2 cup molasses

Preparation:

1. In a large skillet, roast sesame seeds over low heat until they start to pop. They should become fragrant after 4 or 5 minutes.
  2. Remove seeds from heat and reserve. Add flax and fenugreek.
  3. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, water and molasses over low heat.
  4. Stir often until sugar is melted, making sure that the syrup does not burn.
  5. Remove from heat when the syrup is thick (about 5-7 minutes).
  6. Immediately pour sesame seeds into syrup, mixing to combine.
  7. Spread the sesame seed and syrup mixture onto a cookie sheet that is either greased or lined with parchment paper.
  8. Place another piece of parchment paper on top and roll gently with a rolling pin to flatten the top of the candy.
  9. Let candy cool about 5 minutes and then cut with a sharp knife into 24 rectangles. (Grease the knife if you are having a hard time cutting through).
  10. Cool completely and enjoy or store in an airtight container.

This recipe if you cut it into 24 pieces, will give you one teaspoon of fenugreek per square, has 20% of your daily iron, 21% of your daily calcium, and is about 170 calories each. However THIS RECIPE IS UNTESTED for flavor/texture. All ingredients except the sugar and water are considered good for milk supply. If you try it let me know how it turns out/how you like it. :)

Blessed_Mom likes this.
#8 of 10 Old 02-28-2013, 07:26 PM

Hey there, I'm not much of a baker either and prefer to just order them, so I wanted to share where I get mine :) They are AMAZING, soo good, and have completely increased my milk supply. In fact, I need to cut down a little because I'm engorged more often than I'd like to be. Anyways, I've e-mailed this lady and asked for extra flaxseed and to have raisins instead of chocolate chips and she was very sweet and accomodating. I'm sure she would take any custom orders- best of luck!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/LactationStation

#9 of 10 Old 04-16-2013, 07:57 PM

I would look on Etsy.com for lactation cookies.  The shop owners may be able to make specialty lactation cookies to fit your needs.  Also, I would consider buying a lactation cookie mix instead of already baked cookies.  That way you could add oil instead of butter or whatever you need for your special diet.  My favorite is Good Natured Gourmet's chubby baby lactation cookies. http://gngourmet.com/breastfeeding/  I couldn't have any milk while breastfeeding, so I bought the cinnamon cranberry lactose free ones.  They were great and I made so much more milk!  Good luck!  

#10 of 10 Old 04-20-2013, 02:11 PM

Tash11, just wondering why no walnuts in the no-bake recipe?

I'm thinking about a no-bake recipe myself, will post it here if it works out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page