Long term, persistant nipple PAIN - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-07-2012, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have an 11 month old and have had nipple pain since he was 8 months old.  We have tried a lot of different things to get the pain to stop.  Nystatin, mupirocin, several different creams/butters.  He has had teeth since he was 4 months and is not the latch.  It is most painful right away more than at the end.  My LO doesn't have any white in his mouth or diaper rash.  But this seemed to be yeast.  Most recently I was on diflucan and triple nipple cream and that combo seemed to stop the pain.  My midwife had me on 400mg the first week and then tapered down and off after 4 weeks.  I thought this worked as the pain was gone!  Then 2 days after being off the diflucan the pain is back.  My midwife's last resort is back on the diflucan again but taper off more gradually so I can prolong nursing for a little longer.  I don't want to stop nursing until he is ready.  But if I do stop nursing will this get rid of the infection permanently or just make me asymptomatic?  And then if I were to get pregnant again will the pain come back?  I have not tried genetian violet, is something I should try?  Or a cleanse that would work, possibly after done breastfeeding?  Oh, please help!  I need some input!  Suggestions!

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 02:30 PM

This sounds so similar to what I when through with yeast! My DD really didn't have any symptoms, but I did for a long time and diflucan did NOTHING after the initial large dose up front. What helped me what an anti-candida diet (NO sugar, low gluten and dairy, lots of veggies and yogurt), probiotics (I like these - http://www.vitacost.com/garden-of-life-primal-defense-ultra-probiotic-formula), and grapefruit seed extract rinse after feeding (20ish drops in 5 oz) and coconut oil on my nipples instead of ointment. I would also put yogurt right on my nipples too. Oh and go topless whenever you can! Let the nipples air dry, then wash and oil up. I also had to boil all my bras/tanks once to make sure I wasn't re-infecting myself that way. I hope it gets better, mine still flares up from time to time, but the GSE wash and coconut oil regimen usually clear it up quickly for me.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  I will definitely try these!  Now I just need to track down the GSE.

User Tag List