Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Breastfeeding Challenges (http://www.mothering.com/forum/363-breastfeeding-challenges/)
-   -   Going back to school! Need advice please (http://www.mothering.com/forum/363-breastfeeding-challenges/1367763-going-back-school-need-advice-please.html)

MissMommaDear 11-09-2012 08:10 AM

Okay guys so here's the deal.

Baby boy is due the 27th of this month.

The beginning of next semester is January 14th. Therefor, my son will be anywhere from 5-7(8 maybe?) weeks old.

I want to breastfeed exclusively.

I am currently looking at my options for setting up a schedule.

It's looking like this,

I'll be gone two days a week for 4 1/2 hours each day.

He will be with his father during this time.

any of you mommas been in this situation?

How did it work for you? How was your baby? How were you?

If you pumped, do you have a suggestion for one that works to suit these needs?

(this is really the only time I'll be away from him).

Really, any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Im quite nervous as to how this will all work

but I am very determined to continue my education.

Thanks everyone :]

cynthia mosher 11-19-2012 11:23 AM

Welcome to Mothering! Looks like your post was missed. 

Does anyone have any suggestions to offer?

Quinalla 11-20-2012 07:52 AM

I would pump once during that time, sometime in the middle of it and BF right before you leave and right when you get back of course. And I know they are expensive, but I would get a double electric pump even for those limited pumping sessions, as you will likely be able to get milk faster and I am guess you will have limited time to pump. Does your school have facilities for pumping? If not, the bathroom sucks but is an option or your car if you will have one on campus, but I would talk to your adviser or another mentor and see if they can help you out with maybe an empty office during the times you will need to pump. If you have a bunch of time and don't mind taking it slower, then try a hand pump first. You might get one now and see how it works for you as you want to build up a small stash prior anyway. Also, if you are in the United States and have insurance, your insurance should cover part/all of your breast pump starting next year, so call them right at the start of January and find out what you can get! You'll also want a small cooler with an ice pack or two, a few bottles, etc. so you can keep your milk cool.

JudiAU 11-20-2012 01:45 PM

For a 4-5 hour absence you'll probably need two small bottles of 2 oz or when a bit older one 3-4 oz bottle. Bottles at any age of a ebf bottle should never be more than 5 oz and better to break up the feedings for a little guy.

I'd plan on pumping once or twice during that time and then adding in am daily pumping session in the morning to build a stash.

Also, don't ever give bottles other than when you are in class and you should not personally give the bottles.