Breastfeeding twins after a reduction. I need ideas, advice and support. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-13-2012, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I am currently pregnant with twins. I had a breast reduction years ago. I had my first baby almost six years ago now. I was very misinformed then and didn't give it a good try to breastfeed last time. Everyone I talked to -even a lactation consultant- made me feel like it was an all or nothing type of thing. That I could only use formula or breastfeed. No one ever mentioned that I could do both if necessary and sadly it never occurred to me to try. So after just a couple of weeks, when I had so little milk even after BF and pumping what seemed like all day long, I gave up. 

Long story short, I did have a full breast reduction (connections and nipples severed and moved, sorry if tmi) and I do believe I had supply issues but I'm sure there were lots of things I could have done to at least be able to partially breastfeed. 

So here I am now, pregnant with twins, years later and a lot more interested in all things natural and holistic and wondering what if anything I can do about breastfeeding.

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

mama to three little ladies
#2 of 4 Old 11-13-2012, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

http://bfar.org/index.shtml

This site is a great resource. I would invest in a lact-aid or SNS. You can do all your supplementing at the breast while stimulating the breast at the same time. The key is to define your own success, because your potential is going to be different than someone who hasnt had breast surgery. 

I havent had a reduction, but I will be giving adoptive nursing ago when we get a baby, and supply issues are really common. Most mothers have to supplement when adoptive nursing, and I have learned to be ok with it. Its going to be totally different from when I had my bio daughter. 

Have you considered donor milk? I have one friend due in May who will donate milk, and my other friend is planning to get pregnant soon and she will also be a donor. 

Breastfeeding is so much more than the milk, even if I can only give my baby 10% of her supply, that is ok, because the closeness is precious. 

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#3 of 4 Old 11-27-2012, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ditto BFAR. Also this site: http://www.mobimotherhood.org/MM/default.aspx

As somone who has had breast surgery, whenever you work with any "expert" be they a lactation consultant or a midwife or what have you, I encourage you to share not just your surgical history but WHY you had surgery and what your breasts were like before surgery. I found with my first child that a lot of people focused on my post-surgery breasts when the real issue was that my pre-surgery breasts were not typical and that was the real source of our troubles.
#4 of 4 Old 12-14-2012, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No advice, just chiming in to say that I'm another BFAR mom due with twins this spring. After the breastfeeding disasters I had with my first, I finally felt ready to try again. Honestly, the idea of trying to BF twins (even without my supply and BFAR issues) is daunting! With them, it feels terrible. Thanks to the previous posters for these resources.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page