IGT mama with early baby...encouragement please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-27-2012, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all. Short version is I'm an 2nd time IGT mama who planned to combo feed but DD arrived a month early and our BF plans are changing accordingly. I could really use some encouragement.

Here's my BFing backstory and what I expected I would do with a full term baby.

Today DD is 2 weeks old (37w4d adjusted). Being early, she is tiny and needs to eat, eat, eat in order to gain weight and regulate her temperature. At this point she's doing both very well but she still tires easily during feeds, be they by bottle or at the breast.

At birth, she latched on beautifully, but knowing I have so little glandular tissue with which to make milk, we started her on formula while she was in the special baby care unit for 4 days. The nurses there were adamant that she feed X mls/day and they had no idea what combo feeding was; it was breast or bottle or NG tube...and not breast because she needs more than I have. So bottles it was. Thankfully she only needed the NG tube for a very short time.

My midwives OTOH, while they still had no concept of what I meant when I said I wanted to supplement at the breast, encouraged me to express what I could to finger feed her in addition to the bottles, and to put her to the breast when she was wakeful just to keep that familiarity. I did that at hospital and in the first week at home. I could/can express 2-4ml per feed. When we got home I also started on galactagogue herbs.

A couple days ago I got out the Lactaid SNS deal because ultimately I really do want to feed her at the breast; whether its my milk she gets or not, I want that relationship. But it's a fiddly contraption and sometimes it seems like it's adding more stress to try to get her to latch on and get the tube in there right. She's done several full feeds with it, and many 50/50 feeds where I finish her off with a bottle. A few times its been a complete bust and at night I just can't deal with it, especially since DH isn't as supportive as I'd like. He's on-board with the benefits of BF, especially since she really needs the immunities, but he worries that she needs to put on weight and that a bottle would be more efficient and less of a struggle. I share those concerns.

So that's where I'm at today. Feeling hopeful and discouraged at the same time. Any advice, encouragement, or BTDT stories would be most appreciated.
#2 of 4 Old 11-28-2012, 07:11 PM

Big hugs to you mama! I'm moved by your dedication to nurse despite all the obstacles. I don't have BTDT advice but I do want to send my support and encouragement. Your baby is very lucky to have you and will greatly benefit from your efforts. Nutrition and immunity aside, she will always have that amazing nursing bond with you. Once we overcame our problems, I've always loved nursing DD and I honestly don't know how FF moms parent toddlers without it. Exclusive or supplemented, breastfeeding is pure magic! Congrats on your sweet LO and good luck for the road ahead smile.gif
#3 of 4 Old 12-01-2012, 06:41 PM

I have IGT too and this is my second LO as well, only mine is a boy. orngtongue.gif  I am on all sorts of herbs and just started taking Domperidone 90mg/day.  Have you tried goat's rue?  Also shatavari and chastetree berry are supposed to stimulate mammary development.  And dont forget herbs to help with milk ejection.  DS2 doesnt like to work so hard to get his food and thinks the milk should just fall in his mouth.  Might want to consider treating yourself to a batch of lactation cookies too.  Yummy Mummy and Making Mamas Milk are my favorite. 

Getting 2-4ml a pumping session is awesome btw!  

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

You might not need to supplemt as much as you think.  The average amout in a 24 hour period is 25 oz for a 1-6 month old.

Ohhhhhh nearly forgot the most important part.  Use coconut oil for cooking.  The fats in coconut oil are the same as those found in your milk and it will actually increase the fat content of your milk.  More bang for your buck!

Catherine & Baby Vee
Mama to Vinayak {8/2007} & Married to Sridhar {11/2001}
#4 of 4 Old 12-03-2012, 09:32 AM

IGT mom here expecting baby 3.

I love and hate the lactaid but can I tell you that some may not agree but using the lactaid with a nipple shield was not as hard -the baby seemed to go back and forth between bottle and silicone covered breast and it held the dayng tube in place.

Good luck to you and it isnt fair and Im so sorry you have to deal with with this

Former Special Ed Teacher  now SAHM mamma to 2 girls autismribbon.gif(4/06) and thumbsuck.gif (5/08) EBF via donor milk. Wife DH : Fur mamma to 2 pugs and 1 grey kitty - its a zoo around here!  pos.gif Feb 2013..Will you help feed our new blessing?winner.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page