Hoping its a strike- separated and ear infection - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-01-2012, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my nearly 18 month DD won't nurse.

She used to LOVE to nurse. But then we had to be separated for 2 weeks. We live in Europe and she went back to the US with her dad 2 weeks before me. I stayed behind because I had to work.

I'm so sad. I am kicking myself for not just saying "Screw work!" and not being separated. It's tough, though, because I'm the working spouse and DH stays home with DD, so I feel torn between DD and and work often.

She spent 1 week with her dad and 1 week with her grandma. I pumped 2-3 times a day while we were apart. We used video chat as much as we could- I would read her stories and sing songs for over an hour a session.

She got an ear infection the last week, when she was with her grandma.

When I finally arrived 3 days ago, she turned her head away when I offered. I keep pumping, but I only have my manual pump with me instead of my nice electric one so it is slow going. I think we've made a little progress- DD will kind of play with my breasts and put her lips to the nipple but not latch. She will ask to drink the expressed milk sometimes when she sees it accumulating in the bottle. Last night she rested her head on my bare chest and breasts for several minutes and I was really hoping she's go for it...but no.

It breaks my heart to see DD cry at bedtime. She used be so excited about it because that is when we'd go into her room to nurse and rock.

I just feel like I took something away from her and she's mad at me. I know she's "old enough" to wean but I know she would not have yet without this separation. I don't know any nursing toddler-mamma pairs nearby in the US to go hang out with in hopes that the visual would remind her.

What else can I do? I'm trying to keep my supply up, but it's getting harder each day.

#2 of 2 Old 12-02-2012, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Try taking baths with her. Co-sleeping. Sleep feeding.

Don't force it, but be available.

I hope your little one will be back at the breast soon.

ds 9 kid.gif and dd 4 biggrinbounce.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page