newborn latches on and off and on and off... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-10-2012, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 12 day old and bf has been going great so far, but he has recently started taking a long time to latch and stay on. What he will do is nuzzle and lick for awhile and then latch on, but then come back off and then bob his head around frantically trying to get back on. This goes on for about 3 rounds before he settles in for good and stays on. He starts crying a mad cry if I can't get him back on fast enough. Why is he doing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Now that milk supply is in, breasts are likely hard and engorged. That could be the reason. If so it may be difficult for him to latch. You could try to express a bit of milk with your hand to soften it so he is better able to locate the nipple. Also put a bit of milk on the nipple to help him locate it.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:22 AM

could be he is frustrated because the milk isn't flowing the instant he starts nursing.  it is normal for a baby to nurse a minute or so before let down occurs and in that time he may be wondering where the milk is, tho he is still getting something.   conversely, it could be an overactive letdown that is causing him to pop off and on as when the milk does start flowing from letdown it is too much for him.  you will know one way or the other depending on when he is unlatching.  if the problem is overactive letdown, when he latches and you notice a letdown, unlatch him and catch the milk in a container or small towel until it slows down and then put him back on to nurse.  in time he will do better and your letdown will probably also moderate somewhat and the problem will resolve itself. 

Old 12-11-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

I think it is over active letdown then because he also chokes and sputters on my milk sometimes. I have never felt any letdown sensation so I am not sure when it happens. My other breast does leak a lot when he eats so I gues that is when it happens.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I had over active letdown also.. My poor son did all that he could to try to get through it, eventually he learned how to manage it and became quite the happy nursing..I did not know it at the time but block feeding on one side can help with this issue. There is also a technique, though I forget what it is, where mother applies a bit of pressure on areola to slow the flow. Hopefully another member can help you out.'
Old 12-13-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiago View Post

I had over active letdown also.. My poor son did all that he could to try to get through it, eventually he learned how to manage it and became quite the happy nursing..I did not know it at the time but block feeding on one side can help with this issue. There is also a technique, though I forget what it is, where mother applies a bit of pressure on areola to slow the flow. Hopefully another member can help you out.'

Thanks for that suggestion about applying pressure. I tried it this morning by making scissors with my fingers around the aerola and that was the first peaceful nursing session we have had in awhile.

Last night, the problem got much worse where he was literally raging at my breast while nursing. I can tell the flow is just shooting into his mouth and he is really hungry, but has this love hate relationship with breastfeeding because he knows what is going to happen.

I would like to try block feeding if this scissor trick doesn't continue to work, but since he is only two weeks old, I don't want to reduce my supply.

Anyone know if the scissor trick will cause him to develop a bad latch in the long term?
Old 02-03-2013, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

i know this tread is old, but i also have overactive letdown and have found that lying down while nursing is helpful...no more choking.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Saw that this was resurrected and wanted to say that my little guy is ten weeks old (time flies!) and the problem has self-corrected.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:37 AM

Sorry but this has nothing to do with you post but for some reason the forum would not let me send message, probably cause i am new.

Anyway, I found you from a post a few years ago about the sense of smell problem.  I was wondering if it ever cleared up.  For the last 6 months, mine smell is distorted exactly like yours.  I first noticed, like you, with shampoo, soap and coffee.  Smells that are distorted from soap to coffee smell about the same.  Many smells are normal but it is weird and annoying.   I thought it was maybe triggered by a new blood pressure med, but i stopped it mths ago and same problem.  Any clues...

Old 02-09-2013, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

I had the condition for a year during my last year of college and I think it was either triggered by stress or stress made it worse because I was taking seven classes. Semester. It gradually faded away after I graduated. My doctor did bloodwork and an MRI and ever could find a reason for it. I joined a yahoo support group for it and I think we called the condition parosmia so you could search around for that. Let me know if you have any other questions. Sorry for the typos, nak.

User Tag List