Natal teeth HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-12-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I gave birth to my 2nd son on November 30th and to my surprise the nurse exclaimed HE HAS TEETH!! Yep my son was the lucky 1 in 3000 born with natal teeth. Normally natal teeth are pulled as they are not very stable and cause a choking hazard. Well my little guys are sturdy enough they decided to leave them in.

Well I'm attempting to breast feed and I'm at my wits end. It's hard enough getting a new born to learn to latch properly and not yank off the breast or chomp down when over eager to eat. Yeah now try that with a newborn with two very very sharp teeth.

I want to give up some days he latches perfectly no pain for me. Others like today he can't seem to get a good latch or bites me or scrapes his teeth on my nipples as he pulls off.

I just want to cry my nipples are so sore and hurt so badly. I can't pump only as he A.wont take a bottle B. can't keep my supply up pumping only. I attempted that with my older son and ended up formula feeding at 8 weeks.

I'm having issues bonding with him as well he causes me so much pain that feeding is something I utterly dread rather then being good bonding time for me and him.

I'm looking into getting nipple shields this weekend but till then I don't know what to do. I want feeding to be that great bonding time not me in tears because I hurt so badly.

His latch is amazing once he gets on properly and I have some pain due to how sore I am but once he's latched the pain goes from in bearable to not that bad. Some feedings he latches perfectly no issues others we fight for 3-4 min till he latches well and when its really bad I give up and give him pumped milk in a syringe.
#2 of 2 Old 12-23-2012, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Have you seen a lactation consultant or talked to your pediatrician about the teeth issues? The articles that I read recommended removing the teeth when they interfere with breastfeeding.

On the other hand, Stanford seems to recommend not removing them unless they are mobile: http://newborns.stanford.edu/PhotoGallery/Teeth1.html

You may also want to consult a pediatric dentist.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page