How to increase supply after I've been breastfeeding a long time - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-21-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is two and nursing three times a day.  My sister just gave birth but is unable to breastfeed due to medical reasons.  She'd like my niece to have some breastmilk and I said I'd pump and provide what I can.  I'm really happy to be able to do this for my sister and my niece.  How can I increase my supply?  I am planning on buying fenugreek and taking 3 pills 3-4 times a day, pumping as often as possible, nursing my son as much as possible, but is there anything else I can do to produce more milk?  Also can  you suggest a breastpump that would work well for this?  My sister said that she'd buy one for me since I'm helping her out.  Thanks for your input :)

#2 of 8 Old 12-21-2012, 10:36 AM

You've already mentioned you'll let your son nurse as often as possible.  Little Miss and I are at the stage where she is only nursing 1-2 times a day, and my supply has dwindled accordingly.  If she does nurse more, for some reason, I do notice the "over-used" breast engorging.  So I would really recommend letting him nurse tons and tons, even before I pumped.

Have you and your sister considering you simply nursing your niece?  I'm not certain where you're at on the subject, but there are all kinds of people in this world that wouldn't blink an eye at that.  Personally, I don't/wouldn't nurse a friend's child or a stranger (unless it was life and death, ya'know), and I have been in the position to halt and prevent contact between my breast milk and a friend's child (sippy cup), but I would nurse my own family in a heartbeat, if I was in this scenario.  Family is... family.  In any case, I really support what you're doing, and wish you and your niece all the best.  smile.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#3 of 8 Old 12-26-2012, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

From what I understand, a child's actual suckling at the breast is the greatest stimulus for breastmilk production. Hand expression is also helpful, it may be the skin on skin, I really don't know.

#4 of 8 Old 12-26-2012, 07:34 PM

Sounds like you're doing all the right stuff, son nursing more, fenugreek, pumping. Good luck! Oatmeal is supposed to help too, I think.
#5 of 8 Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 AM

I say have a feeding vacation.
#6 of 8 Old 01-07-2013, 10:12 AM

I would recommend you get an Ameda double electric pump and start pumping 8 or more times in 24 hours including during the night.  This will mimic a newborn's feeding pattern and help to build up your milk supply.  If your son also wants to feed that's fine because that will add extra stimulation on top of what the pump provides.  You can also try adding the fenugreek if you find you need it.  I hope this helps!

#7 of 8 Old 01-07-2013, 11:19 AM

I think you've gotten great advice. I'd second the idea of considering direct nursing. In most situations I wouldn't really consider it, but as pp wrote family is family. I completely get it, if this is not an option. It would be a tough choice. The benefits as I see it: Nursing directly is just easier than pumping. It stimulates milk production way better than pumping alone. It's also good for baby's jaw and face muscles to nurse at the breast. With direct suckling BM adapts to be better suited for baby. Despite health issues, your sis may also be able to meet suckling needs at the breast, if her baby learns to nurse.
If that's not an option, nursing and pumping as often as you feasibly can is the best way to stimulate production. When pumping, pump for 5 minutes after your flow slows to tell your body to produce more.
#8 of 8 Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 AM

I nursed my neice shortly after she was born and my SIL went back into the hospital with an infection.  I offered to pump but it was just easier to nurse her in person...though they did switch to formula (my SIL didn't have any desire to nurse, sadly).  

However, I have also done a lot of pumping for donation.  I started it when my 2nd baby was older (closer to a year, I think...maybe a little after).  I just started pumping once or twice a day with my single manual pump.  I make a LOT of milk so that was enough to get me by, but then I got a PIS and it was CRAZY how much that thing could get out...we're talking like 10oz/side.  Anyway, the main thing I've always noticed affected my milk the most was oatmeal...in any form, even cookies. ;)  I'd also pump first thing in the morning, even after an entire night of nursing, because I could easily get nice full bottles then.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page