Pacifiers and breast feeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-06-2013, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I are about to start ttc our third child. I breastfed ds1 until three and a half and ds2 at 2.5 yrs is still feeding. Neither ever had a pacifier. Or bottle. But both never slept well. Wondering if using a pacifier will create breast feeding challenges?... And when is the best time to introduce one?
#2 of 2 Old 01-07-2013, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, there are several aspects to this topic.  For one, yes pacifiers can cause bfing problems but that doesn't mean they definitely always will.  I like to wait a few weeks until breastfeeding is well established and to see if I can tell a need for the paci.

If my babe is comfort nursing at night but sleeping poorly because of not really wanting milk I'd consider a paci (and am actually introducing one with my 3 weeks old now for this very reason).  During the day I don't mind letting him suck on my finger, and that's what we do the first couple weeks instead of a paci, but for everyone's sleeps sake I'm ok with a paci at night.

All that said, using a paci won't guarantee better sleepers, necessarily.  My three older kids all took a paci in varying degrees during the early months and they all had very different sleep habits.  My oldest had loads of sleep issues, second slept like a dream, 3rd was sort of in the middle, but needed to go for walks around the house or the block with his dad in order to get back to sleep.  There just are more factors to nighttime stuff than that one thing. 

hth!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page