Aches and pains and mastitis - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-06-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night my right breast felt slightly tender on the upper outside, it still does. I checked it and there was a light pink blotchy area near the tenderness. In the wee hours this morning while nursing I read up on mastitis and clogged ducts. I do not have engorged breasts or cracked nipples. I do not feel a lump in my breast at this time. I did read that flu like symptoms may be a symptom of mastitis.. I feel like I have been hit by a train and the aches just all of a sudden came on. I am fearful now. Will my breast become really sore? I do not want to have problems nursing.

I am calling my doctor tomorrow but I just wanted to get feedback about experiences. Your comments are extremely appreciated!
#2 of 8 Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 AM

You are doing the right thing by staying on top of this. If you have a fever and your breasts are extremely sore, then this should be treated like an emergency. You want to address it right away so that you can continue to breastfeed. You doctor may recommend antibiotics. Here are some other suggestions.

Expressing your milk to keep it flowing can help to clear up any blocked ducts and prevent a possible infection from spreading. Even though it hurts, breastfeeding or at least expressing your milk in a hot hot shower can help. Sometimes the bacteria in your baby's mouth can begin to infect the breast tissue. And dryness can lead to cracking which can introduce infection.

Some suggestions include getting a finger cot for your baby and gently brushing your baby's mouth and tongue. Then, try rubbing some coconut oil onto your breasts to prevent cracking. Coconut oil also promotes the growth of good bacteria and inhibits some strains of bad bacteria. You will also want to steer clear of eating too many carbs and avoid sugar and alcohol entirely.

The most important thing to do (going forward) is to wash your breasts before and after breastfeeding. It is important not to use antibacterial liquid soaps, because they can be too harsh and often have perfumes and other chemicals that are not safe for your baby. The best way to wash your breasts is to wash using a gentle perfume-free bar soap and/or to take what I call a hygiene bath and soak your breasts.

A hygiene bath is just a warm bath with a few tablespoons of iodine (the dark purple iodine solution that you can buy at any drug store) and a cup of salt (regular salt, iodized, or sea salt all work fine). Together, the diluted iodine and salt bath water inhibit infections. You can also do the same thing in your sink... just with a little less salt... and just "dip" your breasts into the sink.

[Edited my moderator to remove promotional content]

#3 of 8 Old 01-06-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Roy. I do have a slight fever now but breast do not hurt much, yet. I will wash my breast after each feeding. Thanks for your advice.
#4 of 8 Old 01-06-2013, 02:10 PM

Two things that are really importaant are frequent feedings and lots of rest for mom. I have had mastitis several times and those two things are vital. If possible take baby to bed and sleep and nurse. Have someone take care of you and the house, drink lots of fluids and eat healthy but most important nurse as often as possible. Kellymom has lots of great information or search mothering archives. Hope you feel better soon.
#5 of 8 Old 01-08-2013, 11:27 AM

I had mastitis when I first started breast feeding. All it took was once and the minute I felt the same sensation again I took a few drops of poke root that I bought from herblore.com. It was like magic!! Also did all the things that jgallagher66 did. Herblore also has tons of great info on her site.

#6 of 8 Old 01-08-2013, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks dawnetorres. I will check out herblore.com.
#7 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 07:18 PM

I have had mastitis 2 times and then started to get it for a 3rd time, but caught it early.  I did not have clogged ducts- it was bacterial.  Here is what has helped (my midwife gave me these intructions).  For prevention-- put Epsom salt (can be purchased at target/cvs/walmart,...) in cup of warm water and dip nipples into it twice a day or pour over nipples while in the shower.  If you decide to soak, don't do so for too long b/c the salt can dry out your nipples which can cause cracking.  Also, she said to take 2000mg of vitamin C per day and get plenty of rest.  She told me that if I am doing too much and to slow down...  In addition, I take probiotics every day to boost my immune system.  When I feel mastitis coming on (throbbing/stinging pain in the breast, breast tenderness and pain, fever around 99) I start applying moist heat to the breast as often as possible and sleep as much as possible...

Mother to THREE fantastic boys (2002,2006, 2012)!!!! ...and lucky wife to an amazing hubby!!
#8 of 8 Old 01-12-2013, 10:40 AM

You can add some castor oil or calendulated oil to your breasts after soaking them in Epsom salt to prevent cracking.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page