Breastfeeding and IV Sedation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-09-2013, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm currently breastfeeding my 8 month old son. I found out recently that I will need all four of my wisdom teeth removed via IV sedation. My dentist told me I will not be able to breastfeed for a week(!) after my surgery. Of course, I don't agree with this. There's just no way I'm doing that. First of all, my son has to eat. He does get solids occasionally but other than just breastmilk. Secondly, I've already had mastitis twice and I'm NOT going through that again. Thirdly, I am afraid of how not breastfeeding my son for a week will affect him. I'm afraid he will refuse to drink from a bottle or self-wean.

Isn't a week a bit ridiculous? The sedatives are only in my system for so long after the surgery. I'm pretty sure taking pain meds afterward will be fine as well. My dentist said he wants me to wait until I'm done with breastfeeding before having the surgery. But that's the thing, I won't be done for a long time! I plan on nursing him for at least another year. 

Has anyone else had the same surgery while breastfeeding? What was your experience? How should I handle this with the dentist?

#2 of 9 Old 01-09-2013, 08:59 PM

I haven't had surgery while breastfeeding, but I did have all four wisdom teeth removed. I waited a year to have it done while I was not in school. I had occasional discomfort, and a couple of low grade fevers during that time, but otherwise it was fine. Just thought you could use that information to help you decide what to do. Remember, too, that it's possible to wait 6months or so, until nursing is less often. It doesn't have to be now or after complete weaning.

And my sister opted not to have hers taken out at all. They came in fine, despite what she was told. So if you're not having any problems, you may want to think about whether they really need to come out.

Whatever you decide, I wish you an easy surgery and a speedy recovery.
#3 of 9 Old 01-10-2013, 06:43 AM

No, that is ridiculous. A week is outrageous and certainly not correct. Not even close. You're probably looking at not nursing for a few hours post-surgery. Call the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (infantrisk.com) and find correct information. You will need the names of the IV medications and they will give you the duration and potential effects on the baby. PLEASE share this information (including the contact information for InfantRisk) with your uninformed doctor so he doesn't cause this problem for anyone else.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#4 of 9 Old 01-10-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

I would wait until my son has weaned or until he's not nursing as often, but my wisdom teeth really need to come out now. Two are impacted (one of which has a bad cavity) and the other two are sideways and rub against my cheeks. They have also caused my bottom teeth to shift. As much as I would like to wait on the surgery, I know it needs to be done.

#5 of 9 Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

I figured a week was way too long. I started thinking about how women who have c-sections are able to breastfeed shortly after surgery, so how should it be any different for my situation? I think my dentist was being overly cautious. Many women where I live don't breastfeed and I've noticed most medical professionals here know very little about breastfeeding. I've taken pain meds before while breastfeeding without a problem, so I think it will be fine to continue nursing afterward. I was just more concerned about the sedative I will be given for surgery. Thank you for the information, I will speak to my dentist about it. I will ask what medications I will be given so I can do some research on them. Hopefully I can get things sorted out.

#6 of 9 Old 01-10-2013, 12:19 PM

Definately call Texas Tech. like pp suggested. They are the experts on this. Your dentist is not. I had a CT scan with contrast when my son was 4 months old and the radiologist wanted me to stop breastfeeding for 72 hours. I checked with Texas Tech and found out it was not necessary to stop at all. Kellymom also has info. on this but it is really easy to just call. Good luck with your surgery.
#7 of 9 Old 01-10-2013, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Utter rubbish. You can breastfeed as soon as you are awake enough to hold the baby after all of the commonly used sedation and anaesthetic agents.

I had my wisdom teeth out pre-children but I had a tonsilectomy under GA when my oldest daughter was 17mo. I fed her almost as soon as I was back in the ward, about an hour after the surgery.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#8 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 01:32 PM

I had the same surgery when my 2nd little one was the same age as yours.  I left the office, went home, and nursed.  He never said anything about me breastfeeding (he knew I was tandem nursing).

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#9 of 9 Old 01-18-2013, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm surprised that I'm the first one to say this: It sounds like your dentist doesn't know anything about breastfeeding.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page