Domperidone: anyone use it short term and maintain a good milk supply? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-01-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I am wondering if anyone has had the experience of low milk supply, used dom to increase your supply, and then been able to stop taking dom and still have a good supply?  I know that dom does not "fix" the problem, but simply triggers the body to produce more milk while the drug is in the system.  But I am curious whether women struggling with a low milk supply in the early weeks postpartum were able to use dom to immediately increase their supply and then found that their body managed to catch up and regulate with a good supply maybe several weeks or a couple months later without the dom...?

Experiences much appreciated!

Thanks!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#2 of 6 Old 02-01-2013, 10:59 AM

I am one who has to stay on it the whole time I'm nursing but I have a low supply issue (took it with my 1st and now with my 2nd). When I try to drop the dosage, I feel the impact right away. But I know others have taken it then weaned off slowly. I think a lot depends on why the milk supply is low. Dr. Newman has a good description if you haven't seen it, he says to give it 4-6 weeks to see if it works. http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-DGS

Mom to DS born 6/09 and DS2 born 6/12

#3 of 6 Old 02-01-2013, 11:54 AM

I started taking domperidone at 1 week postpartum and then stopped taking it abruptly ~3 months later with no change to my supply.  It took several weeks of taking the dom for my supply to increase to where it needed to be, but it held steady afterwards.  At around 4 months I tried taking it again to give my supply a boost so I could pump some extra to freeze, but didn't notice a huge change after a few weeks so I stopped taking it (again, with no decrease in supply).

#4 of 6 Old 02-01-2013, 01:53 PM

I too have to keep taking it or my supply tanks. With my first, my supply was about 1/3 of what it was by the time I was down to 40mg/day. I am too afraid to try and drop my dose this time around. My friend has been able to wean off with both her kids and keep her supply. So you may have to try it and see what happens.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#5 of 6 Old 02-01-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicrocket View Post

I started taking domperidone at 1 week postpartum and then stopped taking it abruptly ~3 months later with no change to my supply.  It took several weeks of taking the dom for my supply to increase to where it needed to be, but it held steady afterwards.  At around 4 months I tried taking it again to give my supply a boost so I could pump some extra to freeze, but didn't notice a huge change after a few weeks so I stopped taking it (again, with no decrease in supply).

This is what I was hoping to hear!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#6 of 6 Old 02-01-2013, 04:49 PM

I took Dom for a few weeks starting around 10weeks pp. I needed it because I had a baby who wouldn't latch and I started EPing. I think I had the ability to generate a full supply but the pump wasn't effective enough to establish a good supply. I think if your low supply is due to an issue with baby (weak suck, tongue tie, preemie, etc) then Dom is great at boosting your supply and your body can take over once the feeding issue is resolved. If the supply issue is breast related then you may need it long term. Either way it's a fairly safe drug and I wouldn't hesitate staying on it if I needed it to maintain my supply.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page