5 month old refusing to nurse on lap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-13-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My baby was nursing great until he had croup and an ear infection. I had to spoon feed him pumped milk for a couple of days since he wouldn't nurse at all. Now he only wants to nurse while laying down in the bed. It's kind of annoying because I started having carpal tunnel on my left arm and it's really painful for me to lay on my side. Last night I got him up on my lap with a pillow under my knee and he was fine because he was semi-asleep. I tried all sorts of positions while he's awake and it doesn't work- he arches his back and screams. Once we lay in the bed he nurses like a champ. 

I nursed my first son till he was 3.5 years old and I never had an issue like this. I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to get my baby to nurse anywhere other than laying down on the bed and it doesn't work. I'm praying this is some weird stage he's going through and will soon be able to resume breastfeeding like before. Any suggestions?

#2 of 5 Old 02-13-2013, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How long has this been going on? My first thought is that his ear probably still hurts (or that things sound funny or his ear is otherwise uncomfortable) and it's just feeling better when he's lying down, but if it's been a while, maybe not.

I'll bump this and hopefully some other people will chime in.

#3 of 5 Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 PM

My daughter did exactly this, and at about this age too.  There was no medical issue that precipitated this (a cold or anything)....she just didn't want to be held.  I would lay on the bed with her and she would wriggle and squirm around while she nursed, and the only time I could hold her and nurse was at night when she was half asleep.  It was annoying when we were out (she would only succumb to being held if she was super hungry, and I could hardly lay down on the floor of a Starbucks and nurse!), but I didn't mind if we were at home.  I don't recall now how long it lasted now....maybe a month or two?  However, eventually she went back to being fine with being held.  I attributed it to her wanting to move around (she had just started rolling over when it started) and once she was over the novelty of it she didn't mind being held again, but who knows.

I hope this phase passes quickly for you, or that you're able to find a comfortable position to accommodate your little one while he's in this phase.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#4 of 5 Old 02-13-2013, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Have you tried having her straddle you while you nurse her? My son stopped liking the cradle hold around that age.

Also: I also have a hurt shoulder on one side so don't like side-lying on that side. Is it possible for her to read either breast while you're lying on your "good" side?

#5 of 5 Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 AM

I am going through this right now with my (almost) 6 month old. I feel like I am living my life in bed. My body aches from having to lay on my sides all the time. I had to give up feeding her in my lap for the most part. I wonder if she is teething, too. She used to be so easy to read but now every nursing session is frustrating and a struggle. She is sleeping longer at night which is nice but during the day I feel like I am juggling a slimy octopus trying to find a way for us both to be comfortable while nursing. Even in quiet environments she is all over the place taking it all in. Deep breaths...trying to not be do frustrated....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page