Recurrect Plugged Duct - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I am at my wits end. When I was nursing my son years ago I had a few plugged ducts in the early days because I had an oversupply problem. A few were bad and I had to have ultrasound to get them out. Once the oversupply evened out I never had another problem.

Now with my DD I can't figure this out. Everything was fine until this past Thanksgiving. She was 7 months old - no issues with oversupply and I get my first one. I was able to get it out on my own after a few days. Since then I have had probably 6. It's always the same boob in the exact same spot. I have had to have 3 rounds of ultrasound at 140 bucks a pop! I'm taking lecithin, I'm taking homeopathic stuff, my bra is not too tight and I don't sleep on my side or stomach. I really am at a loss here. The last 2  I was so desperate because I just can't do ultrasound anymore. Too $$ and my girl that does it is about to go out on maternity leave. I won't even tell you all how I got the last 2 stubborn ones out!!

Does anyone have any other suggestions?? Im so tired of people telling me "I guess it's time to wean" she's 10 months old - I am NOT WEANING!!!!!!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm trying to figure this out for myself.  I've had several plugged ducts and two rounds of mastitis.  Are you drinking enough water?  I got one nasty (red and inflamed) plug when I was dehydrated for a few days.  I did my best to drink a full glass of water every waking hour and it helped.  Also, I've read that tongue ties and lip ties can contribute.  I'm still looking into this as my dd has a lip tie.

Wife to my best friend, mama to DD (6/29/12)

Old 03-04-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkandpaper View Post

I'm trying to figure this out for myself.  I've had several plugged ducts and two rounds of mastitis.  Are you drinking enough water?  I got one nasty (red and inflamed) plug when I was dehydrated for a few days.  I did my best to drink a full glass of water every waking hour and it helped.  Also, I've read that tongue ties and lip ties can contribute.  I'm still looking into this as my dd has a lip tie.

I generally drinks lots of water, but certainly have days where I don't drink enough. I haven't noticed a connection but I also haven't been paying attention to that so I will.

My daughter had a lip and tongue tie which was taken care of when she was 9 days old so I know that is not what is causing this. Hope you figure it out! 

Anybody else??

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had mastitis and plugged ducts monthly with my first (but managed to never have to take abx). He had a clipped tongue tie but his lip tie was never addressed. I assumed my problems were because of that.

However, when my second was around 7 months, I switched to a paleo-type diet for a time. I ate a cookie one day, and that night started getting a plugged duct. Happened a couple more times, so I started avoiding gluten for realsies. See the quote halfway down on http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/recurrent-mastitis/

Drinking enough water, getting enough rest, and managing stress are also huge factors. For me I suspect that gluten intolerance was a factor and eating an anti-inflammatory diet helped keep them away. As an added bonus my occasional digestive issues went away completely.

User Tag List