connection between low supply and alcoholism in the family? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-21-2013, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I randomly came across this blog post when I was looking up the book "Mother Food" that was recommended in the IGT thread.  I've never heard of anything like this - anyone else ever come across this research?  It unfortunately could apply in my case as my father had a drinking problem.  Wonder if that could be the root of my problem rather than the suspected IGT, or perhaps both...

http://lactogenicdiet.blogspot.com/2010/11/new-risk-for-low-milk-supply-alcoholism.html

It would be helpful to know before giving birth if that is a risk for low supply so that affected moms could be prepared before birth for ways to deal with low supply and not be completely caught off guard.

#2 of 4 Old 03-21-2013, 04:22 PM

Wow, Ayame, that's a really fascinating study!  I've never heard anything like this before, but it could apply to me as well.  I noticed that the most common familial link found in the informal study was a maternal grandfather with a drinking problem, which applies in my case.  Especially interesting to me is the part about having a "blunted"  prolactin response to the removal of milk from the breasts. - What a strange finding. I'm wondering if this has something to do with receptors not there or not working correctly?  I'd like to know more about how familial alcoholism might cause this. Thanks for sharing!

#3 of 4 Old 03-21-2013, 04:34 PM

I had very low supply and alcoholism runs high in my family so I'd be quick to believe this... but it could just be a coincidence?

I think it would be helpful either way to prepare women because the only information I ever saw on breastfeeding when I was pregnant was about how wonderful and beneficial it was and how very few women truly have low supply and that it's just user error.

#4 of 4 Old 03-22-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgertrude View Post

Especially interesting to me is the part about having a "blunted"  prolactin response to the removal of milk from the breasts. - What a strange finding. I'm wondering if this has something to do with receptors not there or not working correctly?  I'd like to know more about how familial alcoholism might cause this. Thanks for sharing!

Glad you found it interesting!  I have no idea but I'm wondering if that's part of why domperidone seems to be helping me - it's supposed to act by increasing prolactin production.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaping View Post

I had very low supply and alcoholism runs high in my family so I'd be quick to believe this... but it could just be a coincidence?

I think it would be helpful either way to prepare women because the only information I ever saw on breastfeeding when I was pregnant was about how wonderful and beneficial it was and how very few women truly have low supply and that it's just user error.

Yes, I agree!  I felt like such a failure at first for not being able to produce enough milk.  If there was information in advance that would've prepared me better I don't think it would've been quite as hard emotionally to deal with.  And I may have been able to take steps sooner to work on my supply issues.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page