Toddler only wants to nurse on one side - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2013, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm sure there are threads about this already, but I wasn't able to find any.

My DS is 23 months and is still nursing, but lately has been obsessed with only nursing on my left side. He just won't nurse the right breast willingly, but I can sometimes get him to nurse on that side when he is asleep.

He is teething right now, and I'm pregnant, could either of those factors make him only want to nurse on one side?

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

My first nursed on one side from 13month till weaned...yrs

Old 03-29-2013, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Either of those could be affecting it. Basically, he may have a slight preference for one breast and with teething it could be one is more comfortable to him to feed from and that is magnified now or with pregnancy supply may be dropping and he may be sticking with the one with a larger supply that again is magnified now because of pregnancy.

My DD always had a strong breast preference and when I was slowly weaning her she eventually stopped nursing from her non-preferred breast for probably the last month or so of weaning.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Old 03-29-2013, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post

My first nursed on one side from 13month till weaned...yrs

Wow, I didn't know that it could last years. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinalla View Post

Either of those could be affecting it. Basically, he may have a slight preference for one breast and with teething it could be one is more comfortable to him to feed from and that is magnified now or with pregnancy supply may be dropping and he may be sticking with the one with a larger supply that again is magnified now because of pregnancy.

My DD always had a strong breast preference and when I was slowly weaning her she eventually stopped nursing from her non-preferred breast for probably the last month or so of weaning.

Thanks, Quinalla! I do think it might be more comfortable (he seems to have shown slight favoritism for that side since around 6 months, but it has never really been an issue) for teething. I don't seem to have any supply issues from pregnancy, but I do want to avoid going dry on the side he is ignoring since it would only be for a few months.

I'm hoping he will go back to nursing on both sides when his teeth come through.

Thank you both for sharing- it makes me feel much more sane to not be the only one to experience this!

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

Old 03-30-2013, 05:38 AM

It was hard at times.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:30 PM

I was just about to start a post on this. My son is 11 months and for the past month or two he has been favoring the right side. I am lop-sided and I also just found out we're pregnant again so I also fear loss of supply on the left side where he won't nurse as well as on the ONE side where he will. But I guess if my supply drops it will force him to wean, right?

I just can't get him to take the left side at all anymore. So the supply is already down. My main question is will I remain lop-sided even after the newborn arrives or when my milk comes in from the newborn, will the two sides even out again? It's not fun thinking I could be lop-sided for years to come!!!

So frustrating but I guess this is all part of the self-weaning, no?

DW married to DH expecting first baby in April 2012!

Old 04-01-2013, 05:53 AM

amo4piano- Yes, the milk will come in for a new born. Your body will "start" over again making milk.

For my #1 it was not part of self-weaning. He just liked "LIKED" that side.  

Old 04-03-2013, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I have some good news here. DS has started nursing on both sides again. He still wants more on the preferred side, but is at least taking advantage of the other side. I'm going to guess it was teething related in our case, rather than self-weaning (I don't think that'll happen for a while).

Old 04-12-2013, 10:02 AM

Glad all is working out.

My son nursed on one side from about 12-14mo until he self weaned at 4y.

Wasn't a big deal for me.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

User Tag List