Mother-led weaning due to health reasons- need some advice - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-02-2013, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this and completely understand if the moderator chooses to move it.

I won't go into too much detail, but I've been having a lot of trouble nursing my 2nd child starting when he was almost 8 months old.  I've had recurring mastitis for unknown reasons, continuous pain and discomfort since December 26th, have gone through lots of different treatment options and have not had any success in relieving the symptoms.  I've also had ultrasounds on both breasts (pain is mostly in one breast) and nothing appears to be physically wrong.  After much soul searching, I've decided that when DS turns 12 months on May 1, it is time to wean.

I am posting this with some caution.  I've been trying to find resources to help with mother-led weaning (I nursed my first child until she was nearly 2 and did child-led weaning) and have been very frustrated and found little useful info.  It seems like there are two "camps," one that says "What's the big deal?  Give your baby a bottle, formula is not the end of the world."  and "There are no problems that can't be nursed through- just keep nursing!"

I have an amazing health practitioner that I've been working with, incredibly supportive family, friends and co-workers, my decision to wean has nothing to do with lack of support in my environment.  It is truly because of unknown health reasons that I can't manage.  

Sorry if this sounds overly defensive- just wanted to make it clear to anyone who might post a reply that I am not in a place of needing to be "convinced" to keep nursing.  I used to be on the other side of this fence and was trying to convince others to nurse through anything, believe me!!  It has been very humbling to fully understand that nursing is a relationship and sometimes the mother has to be the one end it.  I really don't want to, some days it feels like I'm grieving a death, but this is my reality and I need some help.

I don't even know where to begin with weaning.  My midwife has been giving me some pointers, but I wanted to find out if any of you mamas have done this and what advice you might have for me.  I feel like I'm completely in the dark and not able to find much support, even though I know I'm not the first mama to be the one to end the nursing relationship due to health problems.

If it helps, as I mentioned above, my baby will be 12 months when we start weaning and he nurses about 6-7 times in a 24 hour period.  He has never taken to a bottle, does great with a sippy cup and loves to eat solid foods.

Any tips on how to eliminate feedings comfortably for me and him, what feedings you eliminate first, ways to supplement his diet due to the loss of breastmilk or any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

#2 of 4 Old 04-02-2013, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

I forgot to add- if you have any resources (books, blogs, websites, etc) that you recommend, I would love to hear about them!

#3 of 4 Old 04-02-2013, 07:21 AM

First of all *hug*, I can only imagine how emotional this all is for you!
When DS1 turned one I started transitioning him to a cup. (He didn't fully wean til he was 2, it was a very slow process, through a pregnancy/tandem nursing).
I remember making the cup really exciting for him so he wanted it! We would get up in the mirning and go right to the kitchen. He didn't like milk but he did like smoothies so we'd make smoothies together and put it in the cup and that's how we eliminated the morning nurse! After that was habbit, We did the before bed nurse, distracted by a sippy of water and lots of books. He took to weaning really well.
#4 of 4 Old 04-02-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you owlhowl!  It has been very humbling and very emotional, but a great learning experience too.  It's hard to explain to people but I feel very blessed to have nursed as long as I have and to have significant friends who understand the intimacy and importance of nursing.

Thank you for sharing your experience- those sound like great ideas!

Tags
Weaning , Breastfeeding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page