Best "at work" pump for a low supply mama? Plus, some support needed! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-06-2013, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

I'm 36 weeks pregnant with twins. I had a nightmarish time BFing my 4 year old DD (low supply- I'm BFAR, poor latch/transfer, extreme pain, etc.). I ended up EPing for her for about a year (though I didn't actually make enough milk to feed her, and ended up supplementing with donor milk and formula), and swore at the end of it that I would never do that again.

I feel much more educated and supported this time, have an IBCLC who I've been working with in preparation, etc., and am planning for a very different experience. I've started taking Goats Rue, have the Fenugreek and Domperidone standing by, and have read everything I can get my hands on about breastfeeding twins. Our LC is on call, and will visit us in the hospital right after birth, and at home once we're there. I plan to rent a hospital grade pump for the short term to help increase my supply if needed.

So, my first question- I need to buy a pump for when I go back to work (3 months after birth). My insurance will pay for an Ameda Purely Yours or a Medela Pump in Style. When I EP'd with DD, I almost exclusively used a hospital grade pump. I had an older PIS that someone gave me, but really didn't use it often. Likewise, I tried a Purely Yours once and wasn't hugely impressed, but I really didn't use it enough to get a good feel for it. Any recommendations for a daily use pump for someone who has struggled with supply? Dragging a hospital grade pump to my office every day is not going to work, though as I said above, I will certainly use one in the beginning to help establish supply if needed.

My second question, more nebulous- any words of wisdom or support? After 4 years, and a lot of time to think/process/grieve the last breastfeeding disaster, I felt very confident about what I would do differently this time around - and then discovered that I was having twins! I'm trying to find a balance between confidence (I WILL breastfeed my babies!), and pragmatism. Every twin mom I've talked to has told me that you can't plan for what happens - you just have to deal with it as it comes. I'd love support around any of this.

Thanks for listening, and any input you have. Babies should be here sometime in the next few weeks, and I'm sure I'll be coming back for advice!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#2 of 4 Old 04-06-2013, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi KnittingTigers - I just wanted to say a few words of support in your journey toward Bfing your soon to arrive twins. I had a difficult time being confident the first few months of bfing my son because it was not an easy go (shallow latch, inefficient transfer, shy nipples). I understand how challenging it can be.
As far as pumps go, I had a very good experience using a rented hospital grade Ameda. I purchased an Ameda Purely Yours Ultra after returning the rented pump. My need to pump had seriously died down by that point, but I did feel it got the job done well, and was the best reviewed model I could find.
I would recommend it. In comparison to the hospital grade pump, the consumer grade pump seemed to draw a similar amount of milk in a similar amount of time for me.

I hear how committed you are to making this work for you and your babies; I wish you all the best Mama!

familybed1.gifbftoddler.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif  kid.gif 
#3 of 4 Old 04-09-2013, 01:15 PM

I really liked my Ameda Purely Yours pump with DD. I didn't have low supply problems, but I always had a tight supply. My body wanted to be efficient and didn't want to make more milk than called for. I even got to compare the Purely Yours to the Ameda hospital grade pump and I found the hospital pump to be complete overkill but it did work fine too, but I would imagine that varies per person. I never turned the Purely Yours up over the halfway point power-wise for my regular pumping. I know they all say that the hospital grade pump is the way to go if you really need to get your supply going, but for me it was definitely overkill.

I have also heard very good things about the PIS from friends and relatives. From all the LCs I talked to, they recommend getting the PIS or the Purely Yours, some had a slight preference of one over the other, but most said that they were both equally good, so I don't think you will probably go wrong with either.

As another soon to be twin mom, I totally feel you on trying to stay very positive "I will BF my babies!" and also being open to going with the flow. I don't want to be beating myself up if I have to supplement some/all, but I also want to keep positive because I do know (3 of my Aunts included) twin moms who successfully breastfed twins and I think I will be able to do it too, even after going back to work FT. We can do it smile.gif but also any amount of breastmilk is good IMO and I'm not going to get down on myself if things don't work out perfectly!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#4 of 4 Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, guys! Quinalla, I hear you- balance. It's all about balance...:)

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page