domperidone - how did you determine your dosage? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-07-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you're taking/have taken domperidone, how did you determine your dosage?  From advice from your LC, midwife, OB?  From information you researched online?

I've been taking domperidone for about 3 weeks now as part of my efforts to increase my supply.  Originally my LC recommended that I consider taking it and talking with my midwife about it.  I started off with 20 mg 4x/day as recommended by my midwife.  I had also read Dr. Jack Newman's info sheets so I know he recommends starting with a slightly higher dose (30 mg 3x/day).  After 2 weeks I consulted with the midwives' nurse (she's the one who typically answered non-urgent phone calls) to let her know it was having some effect and wondering if I should maintain or increase the dose.  I am still supplementing with formula but have gone from 16+ oz/day to approx 10-12.  Of course I would love to not need it at all!  She basically said I should maintain but mentioned in passing the option of 30 mg 3x/day instead of 20 mg 4x/day.  I wasn't that impressed with her advice because she was obviously just reading off from her information sheet and I don't think she had personal knowledge about this medication.  I used the contact form to email Dr Newman and he responded that the next step would be 40 mg 3x/day.  For the time being, I decided to stick with 30mg 3x/day as I wait for my order from inhouse pharmacy (my first batch was from our local compounding pharmacy - super expensive so I don't want to run out before getting more).  But then last week I was at a breastfeeding support group and the LC there was very insistent that you should never take more than 20 mg 4x/day based on her conversations with Dr. Thomas Hale and that he said he's seen instances of moms develop cardiac problems while weaning down from high doses. 

Anyway, just looking for input and experience of others here...TIA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I began taking 10mg 3x day and built up to the recommended 30mg 3x day. I had to drop down to 20 mg because it was making me extremely tired among other things. I swear my output has increased since the decreased dose

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sharlla, thanks for sharing!  I hear so many different dosages that I find it all rather confusing.  Interesting that your supply improved after you decreased the dose! 

User Tag List