Why can't I produce enough milk for my baby? AGAIN ?? sigh thyroid question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-06-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

first a background... with my first I had oversupply for the first 2 months . found out I had pp thyroiditis  when my supply tanked (went hypo) my tsh was at the high end of the old standard a 4 something.  so during my second pregnancy I was determined to have a good supply so I took selenium and vitamin d and my thyroid was checked every 6 weeks. after the birth I did not have over supply I had practically no supply this time starting out ... my lo was being monitored because he did not pee 1 time for the first day after birth etc and so I immediately went on fenugreek fast forward to now he is 7 weeks and if I miss even one dose of that junk his diaper takes several hours to wet (pampers with the indicator strip) I am so angry and frustrated because I tried so hard this time and my endo released me saying my thyroid was normal but if it really was then why do I not produce? I don't have igt to my knowledge and I had over supply with my first during the hyper phase... anyhow my numbers this time were ft4 2.17

t4 7.8

t3uptake 27.8 (which I read is a useless test when researching this and she should have been testing my ft3 so who knows what that is )

and tsh of 1.87 

are these good numbers for breastfeeding?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-07-2013, 12:20 AM

I have no idea. Just wanted to bump this up and give you support. Those first few months were so rough with supply and figuring out if he had enough. I don't like the indicator strip ones because they have to ne pretty wet before they show. Have you tried adding pumping or nursing sessions?

#3 of 7 Old 05-07-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

we nurse every 2 hours so adding more nursing would be pretty hard... I did try pumping and I would have kept up with it in the first few weeks but I had severe nipple pain so I had to cut that out until my nipple healed . once that was over I tried adding it back in after feedings and I ended up stopping because nothing was coming out... I have a great supply on the fenugreek (his weight is good and normal etc. ) I just want to know why I cant produce on my own especially if I ever have another baby this  is devastating to me each time ugg.

#4 of 7 Old 05-07-2013, 01:17 PM

tsh of 1.87 is good - very normal.  Typically you want to be between 1 and 2. 

I had my thyroid removed before I ever got pregnant.  I had oversupply with my first and noticed a drop in supply when they dropped my meds WAY to low.  This time around I have oversupply again but not nearly as bad. I'm being monitored more closely and my levels aren't as wild as they were with DS.

Who is checking your levels?  In my experience/opinion OB's/midwives/etc. who are trained to detect thyroid issues during and following pregnancy are not great at monitoring them long-term.  I would find a good internal medicine person (who is experienced) or an endocrinologist.  Also, I would have them check everything! When I was first diagnosed (before my pregnancies) the only level that was not normal was my thyroid anit-bodies which isn't something that is normally checked.

Check for other issues such as diet, your water intake, positioning and latch - we just had a surprise tongue-tie diagnosed at 6 weeks which can cause serious supply issues.

#5 of 7 Old 05-07-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janarae18 View Post

we nurse every 2 hours so adding more nursing would be pretty hard... I did try pumping and I would have kept up with it in the first few weeks but I had severe nipple pain so I had to cut that out until my nipple healed . once that was over I tried adding it back in after feedings and I ended up stopping because nothing was coming out... I have a great supply on the fenugreek (his weight is good and normal etc. ) I just want to know why I cant produce on my own especially if I ever have another baby this  is devastating to me each time ugg.
Have you tried pumping the other side while nursing? It's the only way I was ever able to get anything with the pump.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#6 of 7 Old 05-08-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

I was being followed by an endo she has released me as a patient though since it was normal this last time which i think is crap what if it acted up again during a following pregnancy? She did test my antibodies but only one time with my first and I did have then i don't know what the numbers were though... that is why I am soconfused though I know 1.87 is supposed to be good so it just doesn't make since why i don't have a good supply... I am going to have my own labs ordered if I ever get pregnant again ...

#7 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hmmm the only thing I can add is that T4 and TSH readings can be very misleading. Both can be normal range during hypothyroidism if the T4 is not being converted by your body into T3.

T3 is the hormone your body can utilize , T4 is merely the storage hormone.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page