Possible Tongue Tie - Please Share Experience! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-14-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll preface this by saying I have an appointment on Thursday with my son's pediatrician, but I need advice now for how to preserve my nipples until then.

I spoke with a lactation consultant and she suggested my son may have a tongue tie due to my description. DS has actually always been a great nurser (he's just under 6 weeks), though in retrospect I admit that if I'm not careful about positioning the right side especially is prone to clicking while nursing. In the last 3-4 days, nursing has become painful for me, and both nipples are developing cracks/bleeding, especially the right side. During that time, I noticed that latching has become difficult and he often ends up losing his hold, giving it a pronounced clicking. The only change I can imagine in our nursing habits is that I've been a little less careful about positioning as I start to take on more responsibility again with my toddler DD, and maybe my nipples have become traumatized making latch a little harder. The lactation consultant said to try the football hold, and that helped for a couple days but now I think I've just increased the area of pain. the left side looks better, but the right side is VERY painful to latch on and it still bleeding/cracked. I'm really careful to unlatch with my finger when I hear clicking and relatch every time it happens. But surely there's a cause to this, and I think that tongue tie might be it.

When I look at his tongue, the very tip has a little dip in it, like it's shaped like a tiny "m". The frenulum underneath seems to attach somewhere between a third and halfway up the tongue from the base. I have no idea what's "normal". When I put my finger in his mouth, he loses his latch on that, too. He's been gaining weight fine, but I think that's because I've been really careful about positioning.

So here's my point, if you've made it this far (thank you!): do you think this is a tongue tie? Also, and more importantly, what can I do to save my nipples while the problem is explored? I can imagine by my Thursday appointment I'll be hurting even more. Then if it IS a tongue tie, I'll have to wait for an ENT appointment, right? I'm so scared this is going to sabotage our nursing relationship! greensad.gif

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#2 of 4 Old 05-14-2013, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Oh no sweetie, that sounds so painful!  It does sound like a tongue tie (the dip in the tip of the tongue sounds really definitive...not that I'm an expert, but I think that's a pretty sure sign)--can't they help you before then??  Surely she can refer you to an ENT over the phone?  Two more days sounds excruciating.

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

#3 of 4 Old 05-14-2013, 01:51 PM

Are you showing any signs of thrush?  that can apparently cause clicking too (and I know you had some intense abx): http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/clicking-when-nursing/   And here's more about identifying thrush: http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html

Also, this has great information about tongue tie: http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/bfhelp-tonguetie/

Also, do you have lanolin?  That stuff is magic.  Make dh go buy some tonight.

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

#4 of 4 Old 05-14-2013, 02:01 PM

Also, please ask dh and mom to "mother the mother."  I read that you and the 2 kiddos are both sick.  Please ask him/them to not try to get any work done right now and to take care of you so you don't feel like you need to multitask right now.  You need to heal (nipples and sickness) and just chill and work on your latch. I had such depression after Maggie was born because I didn't stick up for myself and let people know that I needed help.  I tried to still do everything, and it wasn't good for any of us.  You just had a baby a few weeks ago!  It's okay to let people take care of you (and your kids) still!  It's a weird cultural anomaly (in my opinion) that we don't consider that the norm in our culture these days.  Argh.  I love you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page