Breastfeeding after Reduction - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all (this a cross-post from I'm Pregnant Forum)-

I know that there are posts available in the archives, but I was hoping to connect with some other currently expecting/BF'ng mommas who are in a similar situation.  

I am currently 27 weeks  along with my second baby.  My first is 2y 9 mos.  I had a reduction approximately 14 years ago.  With my first,  i didn't do much to prepare for breastfeeding during pregnancy (partly because i was told that the outcome would be very unpredictable and little I could do but wait and see), had a very slow start and never produced enough to EBF.  We supplemented starting day 6 after DS lost 1lb.  I breastfeed until 14 weeks.  I used fenugreek and mother's milk tea, sought guidance from an LC but never made enough. 

I really, really want to try again.   Is anyone in a similar situation or has been?  Is there anything i can do before delivery to prepare my body to make more? I am going to see if insurance will cover an LC visit before I deliver but am also requesting to see LC immediately after delivery and access a hospital grade pump if that's what i should do?

Any guidance and support is so greatly appreciated

WOHM   geek.gif , wife to fuzmalesling.gif since 10/07, momma to jog.gif born 8/22/10 and belly.gifEDD 8/16/13

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2013, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Is there anyone with information or has had this experience? Bumping

Old 05-19-2013, 06:39 AM

Hey Jill!

Have you checked out any info from Jack Newman http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&id=14:domperidone-getting-started-&Itemid=17

This is about is about using domperidone to increase supply, but his whole site is great, especially the sections about getting a proper latch, which is important for anyone.

There is also this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0912500867

And these are two great websites as well:

http://www.bfar.org/index.shtml
http://www.lowmilksupply.org/

I would also suggest talking to some La Leche League Leaders, and attending some meetings. It's nice to have some supportive people in your corner:)

HTH!

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Old 05-20-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Tracy: Thanks for the bump

Banana_ THanks for the resource suggestions. I have been on BFAR and Low Milk supply sites repeatedly and checked out Jack Newman's site.  What i can't tell from either site, and I think i have buy the Making more milk book, is what is safe to take now while i'm pregnant and could still be helpful. I have seen recs for alfalfa, a blend sold under the names Mother's Love, goats rue, etc.  

I  am going to be seeing my MW this week and will talk with her about a med like Domperidone.  I can't remember if its this med or another, but has a side effect of depression.  With the stress of breast feeding to start, I am wary about taking anything that has mood changes as a primary side effect. 

I think i would just love to feel a little bit more in control of this situation, but maybe I need to just do the opposite and surrender myself to not knowing again how it will work out. 

WOHM   geek.gif , wife to fuzmalesling.gif since 10/07, momma to jog.gif born 8/22/10 and belly.gifEDD 8/16/13

Old 05-20-2013, 12:07 PM

I have good LC friend who is a big fan of shatavari and goat's rue, alas, I do not know if they are safe for pregnancy or if they would help now. Alfalfa is certainly fine during pregnancy.

The drug that is sometimes used for increasing milk production,that can exacerbate depression, is Reglan (metoclopromide). Domperidone is not known to have the same side effects, my understanding is that the increased milk production is the primary side effect for most women who use it.

It's hard to feel like you have no control over what happens. I would encourage you not to give up though. The things that you can control now are your preparations. You can get your herbs an your meds now (getting Dome takes a little work to get perscription for in the US), maybe you can find an LC who does phone consults.

If you wait to get stuff together you may not get what you need in time. And if you just leave it up to chance, you may always wonder "what if.." Right now, you have nothing to lose but the effort, kwim? smile.gif

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Old 05-20-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Banana!

Just took a few minutes to call the LC at the Birth Center.  No appointment, but she gave alot of info over the phone.  She said no supplements before delivery, but i will look into the Alfalfa issue a little more and talk with MW.  She also recommended Making More MIlk and the Newman website too (so you are giving sound advicesmile.gif)  

She'll start me with a hospital grade pump and breastfeeding, along with SNS almost immediately (at least 6 hours after birth).

So things I can do before hand, read more!, get on the phone with the medical device supply store to confirm that they take my insurance for a regular pump, and call the compounding pharmacy to see if they will make the domperidone if i go that route.

Will be added to the to do list!

Old 06-08-2013, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

I know this was awhile ago, but:

Ask your midwife about a low dose of goat's rue for a month before the birth. I asked mine, and she said there was no danger in it, and I'd read online that some people with a condition that could cause low supply were advised to take it by their midwives. I took 1 pill 1x a day, rather than 3x a day, then switched to 3x a day after the birth. Goat's rue is supposed to help the mammary glands develop in addition to increasing supply- so it seems like a good choice for post-surgery. I don't know if it's really had a big effect, but it's worth a shot. I don't think it's had any effect on the baby, but, again, ask your midwife.

I'd also suggest trying to get the domperidone ahead of time so you can take it immediately if you want. I'd read a few studies where they had people take it for the first 5 days after birth, I think it was for preemie births, and it helped boost the supply. Having that option from the start may be helpful. But I know it's expensive, so that may not be the best option for you.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

So, I did some more research and one of the only things that was listed as "safe" during pregnancy was alfalfa.  I also asked my MW about goat's rue and she seemed to think the safety was questionable since there was no real evidence of it being dangerous, but also no evidence that it was safe.  So we agreed that I could try alfalfa to start.  That was at 30 weeks. I have been taking four pills of alfalfa (which is about 1/3 of a full serving) each night.  After about four days, I started noticing droplets of colostrum in the morning and this has continued.  If this is all I need, I will be thrilled!  But, I will probably re-address the goat's rue with the MW at about 36 weeks and see if we both feel more comfortable with it then.  It has been repeatedly recommended. 

Sillysapling: What brand of goat's rue are you using?  Is it on its own or a blend with other supplements like in the MOther's Love Special Blend?

Also, where do I get domperidone? and do I need a script? I am in the US

Old 06-21-2013, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

I didn't bring Goat's Rue up with the MW until 35 weeks, and didn't start it until after that- so around 36 weeks, I think a little bit earlier (LO was born at exactly 38, so only 2 weeks total). The suggestions I've seen were to start it one month before EDD- so I agree that 30 might be too soon. This is the brand I got: http://www.amazon.com/Goats-Rue-Vegetarian-Capsules-caps/dp/B000ITFVW0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371835588&sr=8-1&keywords=goat%27s+rue

Domperidone is... tricky. Strictly speaking, the FDA doesn't approve of it's use in this. If you research it, you'll see that many medical doctors and midwives with experience helping  women induce lactation disagree with this ruling.   You'll need a prescription and then need to find a pharmacy that's able to fill it, as most don't, you'll need to find a compounding pharmacy. From what I've seen, a lot of adoptive mothers have ended up resorting to less-than-entirely-legal methods to get it. If your midwife isn't comfortable giving you a prescription for it, I'm not sure who else you could ask.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:15 PM

It's sometimes easier to find a Ped who will prescribe it for you, if your MW will not. I would contact your local LLL and see if a leader can give you some leads on providers who will prescribe it, or some LCs who will have provider reccs for you.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:38 AM

Five years ago when I took domperidone, you could get only at a compounding pharmacy and it was extremely expensive if you could find someone to prescribe it for you.  In other countries, this medication is an over-the-counter product from what I understand.  Based on information I got here, I used this website instead:

http://www.inhousepharmacy.biz/

I was told it is based in Thailand (although their website says their address is in a different small country, probably for business reasons) and many of us have used them, I have had nothing but good experiences with them.  Shipping takes a while, so plan ahead.

Somewhere around here there's a big thread about domperidone specifically, check it out if you haven't already.

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

User Tag List