Please help! Low milk supply?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-04-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This all started about 3 weeks ago when I had to go to work for 8 hours and my friend fed my baby boy from a bottle with my pumped milk. This is my second baby. I had zero problems breast feeding my first one. Every time after that day my DS would latch on, suck for a minute and then would scream like crazy. I have tried to just soothe him and kept feeding him. Went for our one month check up and he gained great weight. He poops once every three four days but pees a lot. The screaming continues and only when he eats from the bottle he is happy. greensad.gif( I do not know what to do. I've tried skin to skin and everything. Now when I pump I hardly get 4 oz from both breasts. greensad.gif( he is better at night. But wakes up every 40 minutes and tries to nurse. I really do not want to supplement. But now my mom is here and she is putting even more pressure on me by saying I am starving him. greensad.gif((
#2 of 9 Old 06-05-2013, 08:05 AM

Have you tried to increase your milk supply? I know when I went through this Fenugreek worked wonders! Also I would double pump for 5-10 minutes after you nurse your baby, or a least 8 times in 24 hours. Try to set the pump on maximum unless your nipples are very sore. Most pumps work better on the higher suction settings. Minimum is kind of like the baby sucking in his sleep toward the end of the feeding, and maximum is more like the vigorous sucking he does for the first few minutes of the feeding.

Good luck!

*~Kelly~*
 Waldorf Mom to 9 blessings ~6 by birth and 3 by fost/adopt~

#3 of 9 Old 06-05-2013, 08:09 AM

Are you sure you have low supply? If he is having plenty of pee diapers and growing, then maybe he is mad that your let down doesn't happen as fast as when he starts sucking from a bottle? Are you using a slow flow nipple so it's not pouring into his mouth? I'm not sure how many times you are pumping while you are away but 4 oz from both sides sounds okay, that's what I usually get pumping every 3 hours at work. He takes 3 4 oz bottles at daycare plus solids (he is almost 1). How much breastmilk does your DS drink while you are away? My DS still nurses constantly at night, it seems to be his way of making up for being away from me during the day.

Mom to DS born 6/09 and DS2 born 6/12

#4 of 9 Old 06-05-2013, 12:05 PM

Maybe try slow paced bottle feeding if you're not already?  If you google it you'll find lots of descriptions.

#5 of 9 Old 06-06-2013, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies. I have read an article on Kelly's mom blog and it was really helpful and reassuring. My milk supply is not low. It's just combination of fast let down, evening fussiness and gas. smile.gif)) last night was a lot better. Plus I learned my DS loves breastfeeding when I lay down. I also started carrying him in a my dydimos more often
#6 of 9 Old 06-06-2013, 11:45 AM

How old is he? Maybe he is either having a growth spurt, teething or ready for some solid food. My lo did this st 5 months - had 2 teeth pop out, gained a stack of weight and I started one small meal a day - back to normal after a month ( I don't think the food helped btw).

I found a beer every night helped my supply fwiw
#7 of 9 Old 06-06-2013, 03:35 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I just wanted to add that it doesn't sound like low milk supply at all. It sounds like your baby got a different experience with a bottle and is now confused. With that reaction I'd tried to limit them if at all possible. I wft outside the home but never, ever give bottles outside of those hours.

#8 of 9 Old 06-08-2013, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Sounds like he liked the quicker response from the bottle.  My DD had a bottle of pumped BM every night from about 3-4.5 mos bc the flow was quicker and it settled her down and gave me a chance to rest while DH spent time with her.  Looking back I prob wouldn't go that route again next time around but she's my first and I wanted to satisfy her.  PS we're still going strong BF at 19mos :-)

#9 of 9 Old 06-10-2013, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So glad things are better LoveCyberCat!

Tags
Challenges With Breastfeeding , Breastfeeding , Breastfeeding Challenges , Pumping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page