Mothering Forum banner
1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Asiago 
#1 ·
This all started about 3 weeks ago when I had to go to work for 8 hours and my friend fed my baby boy from a bottle with my pumped milk. This is my second baby. I had zero problems breast feeding my first one. Every time after that day my DS would latch on, suck for a minute and then would scream like crazy. I have tried to just soothe him and kept feeding him. Went for our one month check up and he gained great weight. He poops once every three four days but pees a lot. The screaming continues and only when he eats from the bottle he is happy.
greensad.gif
( I do not know what to do. I've tried skin to skin and everything. Now when I pump I hardly get 4 oz from both breasts.
greensad.gif
( he is better at night. But wakes up every 40 minutes and tries to nurse. I really do not want to supplement. But now my mom is here and she is putting even more pressure on me by saying I am starving him.
greensad.gif
((

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you tried to increase your milk supply? I know when I went through this Fenugreek worked wonders! Also I would double pump for 5-10 minutes after you nurse your baby, or a least 8 times in 24 hours. Try to set the pump on maximum unless your nipples are very sore. Most pumps work better on the higher suction settings. Minimum is kind of like the baby sucking in his sleep toward the end of the feeding, and maximum is more like the vigorous sucking he does for the first few minutes of the feeding.

Good luck!

#3 ·
Are you sure you have low supply? If he is having plenty of pee diapers and growing, then maybe he is mad that your let down doesn't happen as fast as when he starts sucking from a bottle? Are you using a slow flow nipple so it's not pouring into his mouth? I'm not sure how many times you are pumping while you are away but 4 oz from both sides sounds okay, that's what I usually get pumping every 3 hours at work. He takes 3 4 oz bottles at daycare plus solids (he is almost 1). How much breastmilk does your DS drink while you are away? My DS still nurses constantly at night, it seems to be his way of making up for being away from me during the day.

#5 ·
Thanks for all your replies. I have read an article on Kelly's mom blog and it was really helpful and reassuring. My milk supply is not low. It's just combination of fast let down, evening fussiness and gas.
smile.gif
)) last night was a lot better. Plus I learned my DS loves breastfeeding when I lay down. I also started carrying him in a my dydimos more often

#6 ·
How old is he? Maybe he is either having a growth spurt, teething or ready for some solid food. My lo did this st 5 months - had 2 teeth pop out, gained a stack of weight and I started one small meal a day - back to normal after a month ( I don't think the food helped btw).

I found a beer every night helped my supply fwiw

#7 ·
I just wanted to add that it doesn't sound like low milk supply at all. It sounds like your baby got a different experience with a bottle and is now confused. With that reaction I'd tried to limit them if at all possible. I wft outside the home but never, ever give bottles outside of those hours.

#8 ·
Sounds like he liked the quicker response from the bottle. My DD had a bottle of pumped BM every night from about 3-4.5 mos bc the flow was quicker and it settled her down and gave me a chance to rest while DH spent time with her. Looking back I prob wouldn't go that route again next time around but she's my first and I wanted to satisfy her. PS we're still going strong BF at 19mos :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.