Very resistant worse thrush ever! At my wits end! Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-11-2013, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone, i really need some advice. Ive tried everything!

I just had my baby almost 5 weeks ago. Around 2-3 weeks, I noticed patches in his mouth..but I had no symptoms so I shrugged it off. Around then, one morning while changing his diaper, I noticed tiny raised bumps that look kind of bloody. I showed my midwife and they told me it looks like thrush and to start treatment. I declined meds because they have never worked on me and made it worse in my other births. In the past I cured it with garlic tabs and vinegar with my other children. It took a few days to heal and improve.

However, with this one, after starting treatment it has gotten severe! Nipples dry, cracking, itching, red and tiny white dots. My sons mouth still has patches.

I have been swabbing his mouth every hour with dilulted gse in 30 ml water plus 20 drops..washing my nipples with soap and water after every feeding, blowdrying, dabbing AVC, blowdrying then putting grapefruit seed extract diluted (high concentration) then blowdrying again and finally putting olive oil. I do this once or twice an hour. I have tried diluted vinegar, tea tree oil, coconut oil, olive oil, baking soda, gse on his diaper rash..still no avail. Also gave it air and sun. Blowdried..nothing!

I tried swabbing his mouth with baking soda as well. Some parts that had patches look clean but he doesn't let me swab and the patches are so far back in his mouth, i cant reach. Whenever i put the swab in his mouth, he gags. So i can never touch the patches properly!

I have also started eating raw garlic 3-5 times a day, drinking 10-30 drops of gse 3 times a day, taking 10-15 capsules of probiotics (10 billion each capsule). I started giving him BioGaia 5 drops a day as per directions. I started eating yogurt and kefir. I have cut out sugars and carbs. Well i had a few white flour foods today..but thats it!

I washed everything on sanitary cycle with vinegar..dried on antibacterial cycle..i wash my hands everytime..i use sanitizer before and after diaper changes, feeds, swabs etc.

Ive tried everything in the book and im losing it. No improvements whatsoever. What on earth is this? greensad.gif im going crazy from this nuisance and also repetitive non responsive treatment is driving me nuts?

Please help !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

That sounds like a pretty tough case of thrush! I think if the natural approach is not working you should see your health care practitioner. Let him or her know that previous pharmaceutical treatment has not worked for you and maybe another approach can be suggested. 

Old 07-26-2013, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Sounds like you are pretty much everything I would suggest, but fwiw I eventually had to throw away a poly tube top thing once I realized that it was what was reinfecting me last time we had this issue. But I don't have a wash with sanitation so not sure if that would have helped.

Gentian violet? I never could find it locally but it is supposed to help.

Topically I like motherlove's thrush salve.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:15 AM

I tried Gentian Violet from CVS. I tried every natural approach recommended, and none of them touched it for me.

I swear by Nystatin, a prescription topical anti-fungal. Worked fast and worked well.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

Old 07-27-2013, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What about Triple Nipple ointment? It has an anti fungal and an antibacterial and something else. I'm not sure if it would help but when I had horrible cracked and bleeding nipples it was a godsend to me. I thought since it has an antifungal it may help.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

Old 09-01-2013, 09:56 PM

I use Diflucan for both mom and baby in resistant cases of thrush. No, it isn't "natural" but either is mom and baby being in pain and having a difficult time nursing.

I've had it myself and natural remedies didn't work. I got both my child and myself on oral Diflucan and it was amazing. Ten days with both of us on Diflucan and we were cured. I've seen this med work in hundreds of my clients. In our area of the country, most yeast strains are resistant to Nystatin, so we ask our prescribers to go right to Diflucan. It isn't harmful and is much better than the pain and discomfort and possible complications of untreated thrush.

If Mama has it, Baby has it. If Baby has it, Mama has it. Both need to be treated and at the same time.

I hope you feel better soon. I've had thrush myself and it was very painful and made both my baby and I very sad. We were both happy to be rid of it as expediently as possible. At first my baby had NO symptoms (this is very common) and I was just a little sting-ey and sore, but then as it progressed she was in pain (although I could see a Pearly Membrane, my Ped couldn't see it. Most aren't trained to see thrush in breastfeeding babies, it's much more subtle as the immune system in BF babies is strong) so we went right to the stuff that I know would work and work quickly.

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif
Old 09-05-2013, 08:37 AM

Gentian violet did it for us after nystatin helped but didn't kill it completely. I'll just add that GV can cause ulcerations in baby's mouth so keep that in mind. We're dealing with this; my champ nurser can't latch so I'm pumping until she heals. Thrush has been the bane of our existence for most of 6 week old DD's life :-(
Old 09-23-2013, 08:25 PM

Have you tried Daktarin? It works the first time around by those who tried it.

User Tag List