Daycare & Supplementing: formula vs. solids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-27-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In the month & a half my dd has been in daycare (she's 7 months now), I've gotten sick several times and ended up resorting to supplementing with (organic) formula. This week though, we tried using those organic baby food pouches instead. (I've also supplementing with goats milk yogurt).

While I'm sure many moms here would move heaven & earth to avoid being in this predicament, please tell me  - what would you choose in my shoes?

a) The (organic, low lactose) formula provides more complete nutrition, but we noticed some skin issues that make me worry about milk sensitivities (I eat low-dairy for her as it makes her gassy).

b) The solids (organic baby food pouches, or goat's milk yogurt, and cooked steamed/baked food when I can manage it) - is more natural to me but I wouldn't otherwise be encouraging solids as much and don't want them to hasten the weaning process.

My biggest concern is long-term BFing success and not rushing the weaning process any more than necessary.

#2 of 4 Old 09-27-2013, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I haven't had to use daycare or had to supplement, so take this for what you will...

Is she in daycare full time? If so I think that I would probably use formula if you are unable to pump for her. At seven months none of my children were eating enough solids on a regular basis to be able to replace any nursing sessions. If she were closer to a year, I might say not to worry about it.

What about night time? Is she still nursing a lot at night? If she is reverse cycling and getting a lot of breastmilk throughout the night, it may not be too much of an issue either.

#3 of 4 Old 09-27-2013, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! She is in daycare full time and is nursing all night, but whether due to overfeeding or actual appetite I am not pumping enough.

I typically only pump about 10-14 oz per day, but anything less than 18-22 oz gets me reports from daycare that they need more milk.

#4 of 4 Old 10-04-2013, 07:59 AM

I think 12-15oz a day plus some solids should be enough. If you don't want to do solids, then yes II could see needing 18+oz. Personally after 6 month I would rather offer solids to try and supplement at daycare because I want the majority of BM consumption to be in person, that helps keep my supply up better that me pumping. I don't have a problem with formula supplementation (I've supplemented all of my children, moreso with the twins because I just can't keep up pumping with their needs), but yeah to help keep my supply, I definitely lean towards solids first then formula once they are old enough.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page