Horrible nursing pain seems to accompany ovulation...is there anything I can do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-08-2013, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is 17 months and I'm not ready to wean him, but &*%* it hurts! This is the third month now that I've had my period back and the pattern is obvious. An entire week of nursing is excruciating about two weeks after I have my period. It's so hard to let the poor boy nurse and he is so confused about why I'm suddenly not into letting him nurse as long as he wants to any more. Maybe birth control pills? Not ideal, but better than weaning, right? Has anyone else experienced this? TIA.

bftoddler.gif

#2 of 5 Old 10-08-2013, 07:43 PM

Yup, same here. No solutions, but you aren't alone.

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#3 of 5 Old 10-09-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Yuba! How long have you been dealing with the issue, if I may ask? I need hope that I can push through this for as long as ds wants to nurse.

#4 of 5 Old 10-09-2013, 07:31 PM

My son is older, almost three, so I do limit and distract him as much as possible. I also make sure his latch is a good one, and then try to distract myself as much as possible-- a good book to read helps! It's the worst when he starts and then subsides a bit.

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#5 of 5 Old 10-12-2013, 11:06 AM

If you do go on the Pill, please request the "mini pill" that contains only progestin. Estrogen (half of regular Pills or triphasic Pills) may decimate your supply. The Mini Pill will stop you from ovulating so the pain won't be there.

You can also treat the pain, I also get really sore (nursing or not) when I ovulate, sometimes it only lasts a few days, sometimes it may last until I get my period. But, I have a history of Endoemtriosis, and if you have pain in your ovary duing ovulaing or new pain during sexual relations, you may want to see your OB to make sure you don't have Endometriosis or even an Ovarian Cyst. Ovarian Cysts can cause ovary and nipple pain and can cause you to throw LOTS of excess hormones into your blood making you extra miserable. Your OB will probably be able to see the Cysts on an ultra sound, but will need further evalution to find out if it is endometrisis. Endometriosis doesn't show up on ultrasounds because the "implants" of endometrial tissue are nearly the same density of your uterus and intestines, so other means will need to make a diagnosis.

Of course, using Motrin (ibuprofen) or Aleve (naproxen sodium) can really help with the pain. I find naproxen sodium more useful for this type of pain (especially if the uterus or ovaries are also tender) but you can experiment to find what works for you. Neither will cause any problems with breastfeeding and are acceptable by the American Academy of Pediatrics for use in Breastfeeding Mothers.

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page